Lounger
    Thanks

Record 'indicator' on SubForm? (XP pro)

I have two subforms (authors and publishers) on the main data entry form for a books database. The subforms use data from linked tables and function correctly. One subform has the "record indicator" at the bottom of the subform and one does not. The data is displayed in datasheet form and the up/down arrows are sufficient - the record indicator function is not needed.

How do you "turn off" the "record indicatior" (or turn it on) on a form or subform?

What is the correct Access technical term to describe the "record indicator"?

Bob Holmstr

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Record 'indicator' on SubForm? (XP pro)

Open the properties sheet for the subform and set Navigation Buttons to No.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Charolotte,

My subform does not have a Navigation Buttons property but looking further I discovered that I had somehow managed to create a subform placed on a form of identical size to the subform all placed on the main form. It certainly didn't help that both were called "form"!

Bob Holmstr

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Excuse me? All forms and subforms have a Navigation Buttons property. Look on the Format tab of the properties sheet with the subform open in design view.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,

Yes, I suppose all forms should have Navigation Buttons property but at least two subforms in my database do not seem to. My guess is that it has something to do with my having started with the book database created by the Access Database Wizard - I have read somewhere that using the Database Wizards constrains the resulting database in hidden ways (at least to an amateur like me).

I have attached a screen shot of the subform with "All" selected. I will attach a second screen shot of the whole entry screen to a following post since both won't fit in 100k file limit.

I am considering splitting the database into front end / back end and redoing the front end from scratch to get around the problems.

Bob Holmstr
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks

And here is the whole data entry form
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,

This is the Properties window for the subform as a control on the main form. To set properties such as record selectors and navigation buttons, you must open the subform in design view from the database window.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You're looking in the wrong place. The property sheet you're looking at is for the subform *control*, which does not have those properties. You need to open the subform itself in design view, now from within the parent form.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans and Charlotte,

Ok, I am now making progress - I was able to get to both the control and the subform from the main form but with much difficulty. Now I need to go and clean up form and sub form names so that I can find my way around.

Thanks
    Bob Holmstr