Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Repairing button System Properties Advanced Tab (Win XP Pro SP1)

I was trying to help Jack find the User Profiles tab either through the Control Panel Applet for User Accounts (I can't find it on mine no matter what view I use for Control Panel) nor can I find it anywhere using the permissions security route by rt. clicking My Computer or the C Drive nor can I find it where I know it is hiding on the System Properties box Advanced Tab.

[b]I cannot open that middle button for some reason but can open the other two. Does anyone know how to fix this, and does anyone know where to find the Profile Tab on the User Profiles dialogue box because I can't find either. I know the middle button has them. The tabs should read "General, Member of, Profile." Can anyone whose middle button works or can find this on the Control Panel applet for User Accounts confirm where it is or find it, and can anyone tell me how to fix this middle button so it lets me open up the boxes behind it?

Ed by SMBP: First thing I'll reach for will be SFC (System File Checker) but I'm skepticle and I suspect it's been going on well before my 90 day full allocation of System Restore points although I could start peckin' around there.

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Repairing button System Properties Advanced Ta

You've definitely got the right Access Point identified. Are you logged with the correct User permissions to be able to access it? (Maybe looking at the Local Groups and Users settings in the Computer Management snap-in under Administrative Tools might yield some extra information.)
    Gre

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Unk--

Thanks for the help. You can also get there by putting "lusrmgr.msc" in the run box. You know doing this also yields the tab that Jack was looking for, and I was looking for because he needed it, and I'd be the first to say I don't have a comfortable grip on the best way for him to move (or back up) his whole Documents and Settings Folder but i hoped I would be able to do this by getting enough links helping him copy his User Profile. We know you can get to a lot of dialogue boxes through different routes particularly some of the ones behind the System Properties buttons or in My Computer properties.

I have always found the best way to log in confusing, because you are hammered that you shouldn't log in with full Admintratuve privleges and we've had some good threads on this over time. Somewhere in Help and Support MS has an article on why you shouldn't log in with full Adm. privleges (basically because a Trojan/hacker could come in and have them) I believe.

The rub for me has been that to do so many tasks you seem to have to be the administrator even though I am not on any network.

I also would have thought you could get their through the User Accounts Applet in the Control Panel but apparently you would have to go through Systems to reach the System Proeprties box if you use the Control Panel or you could use Windows + Pause Break key.

Correct me or help me out here: There is nothing in that box--so I may need to put something in it along the lines of forcing a manadatory roaming profile or alternative profile of some kind. The dialogue box thought that Jack wants and is behind that middle button on the Advance Tab of System Properties is here-see screenshot if you rt. click your adminsitrator or any account and click Properties.

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>User Profiles MSC Snap-In
    You can add as many of the individual snap-ins as you like to the Administrative Tools "sub-folder" - but not to Control Panel. Personally, Group Policy and Device Manager are candidates. You could also try Local Users & Groups - but that is already in the Computer Management snap-in.

>Mandatory & Roaming Profiles
    Anything you add there is really only designed for a Server set-up. If you are on a single machine, the amount of overhead involved in attempting to secure against a determined hacker is probably prohibitive. If you do have to keep flipping into an Administrator account, that is what fast-switching is designed for.
    Gre

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much. I got the idea in reading a lot of profile copying and transfering material that it was written for a server environmnet--the sentence that did have resonance on single machines not in that kind of environment was that interested me the one Ed Bott had about making a backup profile--I was trying to figure the reasons for wanting to transfer Documents and Settings to another drive. Appreciate this.

SMBP