Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel & Palm IIIxe (1997)

I have a very large Excel spreadsheet, and would like to have my Palm IIIxe be able to take certain key cells, and have them insert the information into a spreadsheet (such as date, location, time on duty, time off duty etc.) so the spreadsheet will do the calculations.

Can I create a smaller spreadsheet for data gathering, sync that, and then update the data to my main spreadsheet on the computer?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel & Palm IIIxe (1997)

Should be no problems. All the heavy lifting will be done on your desk machine - with links pointing to the relevant cells in the Palm spreadsheet. Make sure that the placement of cells in the Palm doesn't change - otherwise integrity on the main spreadsheet will fall over.
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So, do I have to make an entirely new spreadsheet, and reference to my large spreadsheet? If so, how do I do this? I am using VIZ "Document's To Go", and am not understanding how to make my spreadsheet do the calculations. I onle need "KEY" columns and cells to be placed into my main spreadsheet.

Could you give me an example in plain english please.

Thanks

Larry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Aparrantly I was cross posting, and did nor realize it. Sorry. Just trying to get a solution. Will watch that in the future. Still learning the ropes.

Larry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Confession time: I do not have a Palm. I was under the impression, however, that somehow you could synch a small spreadsheet on the Palm to a small Excel spreadsheet on your desk machine. On that basis:<UL><LI>The large ("Target") spreadsheet would have Links to the small ("Source") spreadsheet. <LI>When you opened theTarget, it would be able to update its Links and recalculate accordingly.<LI>Alternatively, you can refresh the Links while the Target is open using Edit|Links|Update Links. <LI>The simplest way to set up the Links is to select a cell in the Target.<LI>Enter a plus sign in that Target call and then select the cell in the Source. Then tap Enter.<LI>Repeat as many times as required.[/list]I am not altogether comfortable with the concept of linking directly from Target to a PDA. In any event, there may be a software compatibility issue.

Maybe a Lounger who uses Palm could be more specific.

HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What you are proposing sounds feasable. One problem that may occur is that some cells in the "MAIN" large database are linked to other cells to retrieve information. Example: Cell BA6 would retrieve the amount of miles worked per the following example.

=IF(ISBLANK(A6),"",IF(ISBLANK(S6)=TRUE,"",VLOOKUP( S6,'Pay Scales'!$E$3:$L$302,6,FALSE)))

Where A6 would be the date, S6 would be a routing code, and the lookup table in the Pay Scales sheet, column 6 would hold the amount of miles a person worked on a trip on the railroad, depending upon what S6 would be.

How would I make a referenct to cells A6and BA6 from the smaller spreadsheet? The concept is new to me, and I would appreciate an example.

Thanks

Larry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HTH,

I am new at all of this. Would you please give examples of the following with my previous post:

 Alternatively, you can refresh the Links while the Target is open using Edit|Links|Update Links.
     The simplest way to set up the Links is to select a cell in the Target.
     Enter a plus sign in that Target call and then select the cell in the Source. Then tap Enter.
     Repeat as many times as required.

Thanks

Larry

Thanks

To make the references linked to another workbook:
    Open both workbooks
    Select the cell with the formula you want to refer to another workbook
    In the formula bar, highlight the reference to change
    Select window - choose the second file (the one to reference), goto the sheet and select the cell{you will note your formula is still there and you will get a reference that includes the workbook and worksheet name of the other book along with the cell
    hit enter.

Now you have a Link to the other workbook. Do any other cells/formulas. When done you can close the "linked" workbook and your formulas will include the full path in them and they will get the data even when the workbook is closed.

You can enter all the workbook/worksheet and cell references manully, but since syntax is important, it is easier to point to the cell you want and have excel do the details.

Steve

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Walking through steps 4 and 5 in my previous post: If you want to link to Cell A6 on the worksheet named Sheet1 in Source, then the formula derived by linking would read:

=+[Source]Sheet1!$A$6

The $ signs are put in automatically by Excel, but they are optional. So, if you are typing in your formulas by hand, then the $ is not generally essential.

If you have a complicated formula, the Cell reference will operate in practice like any other. So you can have:

=IF(ISBLANK([Source]Sheet1!A6),"",IF(ISBLANK([Source]Sheet1!S6)=TRUE,"",VLOOKUP([Source]Sheet1!S6,'Pay Scales'!$E$3:$L$302,6,FALSE)))

HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tried your idea, and it appears to be what I want. Haven't downloaded to the PDA yet, but am sure it will work. How do I select more than one cell for reference? Do I copy & Paste Special? In otherwords, I would like cells A3:A400 in small spreadsheet refer to cells A3:A400 in large spreadsheet.

Larry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ignore my last post. I figured it out. What can I do in my Large Database to have the cells show as blank until information is entered into the smaller one?

Larry

Thanks

Add something like:
    if (isblank([book.xls]'sheet'!A1), "", [rest of formula..]

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Headed for a train. Will let you know if everything works out well. Most of the guys have PDA's, and thought that this would be a nice addition.

Larry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Steve: Got most of the chore done. Please take a look at the attached, and let me know what I can do to make all of the cells that have error messages in them appear blank until info is typed into the satellite spreadsheet.

Thanks

Larry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Steve, I can getthis to work: =+'Cocuments and SettingsLarry WitcherMy DocumentsRailroad[Timebook (PDA).xls]Sheet1'!A3

But I cannot get this to work, it shows an FALSE error :=IF(ISBLANK(A3),"",+'Cocuments and SettingsLarry WitcherMy DocumentsRailroad[Timebook (PDA).xls]Sheet1'!A3

Larry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast