Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Access ADE file (XP)

Hi All
    I have been given one of those tasks that I just cannot work out to do! I believe it impossible but maybe someone can advise.

In one of out area offices, we have a very good postal log system using n ADE file. This is connected to data objects loaded on a local server. The person who developed this database has now left and has not left anyone in the office passwords, copies of the original ADP file, nothing.

What I would like to do is get a copy of the data, either as downloads to excel, connectivity to another database but can't seem to do it as everything is greyed out ( security?).

Anybody know of a 'trick' that will allow me access to this data?

Jerry
    Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access ADE file (XP)

If you are using an ADE front-end, then the back-end must either be SQL Server or the MSDE. To get at the data, you could try installing a developer version of SQL Server, and use the Enterprise Manager to look at the data. However, if the security for SQL Server/MDE has been implemented, you will need to get userids and passwords to get at the data. Another alternative, would be to create an Access .MDB file, install SQL Server ODBC drivers, and link to the tables in SQL Server/MSDE, but you may still be foiled by security.
    Wendell

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access ADE file (XP)

Thanks Wendell

Just so happens I have a developer version of SQL Server at the other end of the office. I will have a play but I really think I may fall flat with the security angle.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Thank you
    Jerry