5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Setting .xls as the default file type to open (Xcel 2K, Win 2K Pro)

Alas, the seach function on the lounge is gone gone gone... so I'll ask a question that's probably already been asked before:

in Excel 2000, MS annoyingly placed the *.xls far down the list of types of files to open in the File|Open dialog - how to move it up or make it the default instead of the equally (if not more) annoying raft of choices called 'All Excel Files' -- which is, IMHO, not very useful at all as a default.

I suspect this is a RegEdit hack but I ain't afeered of that.

Thanks

Re: Setting .xls as the default file type to open (Xcel 2K, Win 2K Pro)

This doesn't asnwer your question, but you could create your own open file button and menu item and replace the std ones or add an additional one, cusomized the way you want..

You can use the getopenfilename method and set the "filefilter" to xls files, then you will get that by default.

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting .xls as the default file type to open (Xcel 2K, Win 2K Pro)

<hr>in Excel 2000, MS annoyingly placed the *.xls far down the list of types of files to open in the File|Open dialog - how to move it up or make it the default instead of the equally (if not more) annoying raft of choices called 'All Excel Files' -- which is, IMHO, not very useful at all as a default.<hr>
    Actually, the "All Excel Files" choice makes a lot of sense, especially if you go back far enough in versions of Excel which stored a workbook with the extension of *.xlw.
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.