Thread: Virus? (XP)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Virus? (XP)

I continue to receive messages from various mail systems telling me my e-mail cannot be delivered. Sometimes they tell me my message contained a virus. Problem is, I never sent any of these messages. I have scanned my system with virus checkers but nothing is found. Nonetheless, I suspect messages are being sent from my computer and I would like to stop it. Any ideas? Am I in the right forum for this?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Virus? (XP)

Your address has been "Spoofed". Some one that has your email address in their book has become infected and the virus is spoofing your address. There is not much you can do, but think who would have your address and the ones that are having problems in the email being sent. This is known as unprotected friends

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yeppers, spoofed. If the original was sent back as an attachment, you can open it and check the internet header for routing information. This may or may not be informative, accurate - or even understandable. Some ISPs will help you with this, but it seems the bigger providers won't unless it impacts their systems.

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Do you also get emails with various headings, but that tell you about a critical microsoft update being available. These are usually very professional looking. If so it is related to the Swen virus. I have read all about that virus on various sites, run a check through my computer and it is clean, but still I get these messages.

I have taken to looking at my inbox over the internet and deleting the messages there. I will take it up with my ISP when I get the opportunity.

What I don't understand is how it can be a virus on my machine (when it comes up clean), when the messages are delivered to my internet in-box - surely that would indicate the virus is on the ISP mail server?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You're not alone there. Even the experts get confused. There are folks on this forum who know more that I do in this domain. But I believe what's happening is that someone else's system, with your email address, has been hijacked. It is sending out email to either random addresses or to others in that address book. When they bounce (as spam, undeliverable, etc.) they come to you because your address is the sender and/or reply to address. It's very unlikely this is a mail server problem.

There is little you can do unless you can identify the other user. The best hope is to get the routing from the internet header, then go to the originating ISP (or have your ISP do so).

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Thanks Old Dog - I will have to try getting my ISP to backtrack, I am getting about 30-40 of these a day. I have stopped downloading them now and delete them off the mail server before I download to outlook.