4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System File Checker in XP? (Win XP Pro)

I just installed XP and am looking for the system file checker that I used in Win98 SE. Does it still exist?

TIA
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System File Checker in XP? (Win XP Pro)

<!mskb=310747>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 310747<!/mskb> talks about this tool -- but I never needed to use it in Windows 98!

Nor, fortunately, in Windows XP!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

C:WINDOWSsystem32sfc.exe

Banned Member
    Thanks

Yes it does. Start,Run, and type sfc/ scannow. You will most likely need your XP CD handy and in the drivebay.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Sherry--

It has been made better with the NT OS's according to most articles--98 did some file replacements in Office as well. IMHO it is well worth running for problems in Win XP or IE because it takes 20-25 minutes usually--does not present downsides except for really rare reports, and has been reported to once in a while miss replacing a file but when it fixes you from a recurrent annoying problem, you'll be glad you ran it. These two old posts with links may help:

Post 297277

Post 259972

SMBP

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What I was looking for was SFC the way I ran it in Win98 SE. I could run SFC, and end up with a report on files that were changed/deleted. I would run it before/after installing anything and then if there were problems I would know what program made the change. I guess with the new SFC I just have to trust the program.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sadly you will not find it to work as it did in Win98. The upshot to this are the changes made to the system in Windows 2000 and continuing with XP - it's actually a much better program, and what I like most about it is that it does not require intervention. The utility in Windows 98 prompted you for each file unless you made a blanket statement telling it to update everything, which wasn't necessarily the best thing to do. Under 2000 and XP, system file protection is integrated into the operating system. Try deleting a system file from Windows Explorer and you can watch the OS replace it before your very eyes with the correct version from its cache.

I think trusting it may take some time, but once you get used to it, you won't look back. Coupled with the fact that you should rarely need to run it, it's a winner.
    -Mark