2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Full-Text Seaching in a Large Contacts Folder? (Word/Office 2000)

I am accessing a large public folder containing over 12,000 contacts from a template within Word. Essentially, my users would like to be able to search for any contact where the company name includes the word that they are searching for (e.g., a search for "Jones" would find "Smith Jones & Co.".)

The only way I know to do this would be to cycle through each item in the contacts folder using either the "Like" operator or the "InStr" function or something like that . [The Restrict and Find methods don't appear to allow the "like" operator.] But over 12,000 contacts this takes way too much time (over 3 minutes)!

Any ideas for accomplishing this faster? Is there a CDO approach to this? Is there a way to utilize Outlook's Find command?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Full-Text Seaching in a Large Contacts Folder? (Word/Office 2000)

What version of Exchange are you using? If you are using Exchange 2000, I believe it will let you use ADO, so you should be able to write an SQL string to fill a recordset, with a WHERE statement. We are still using 5.5, so I can't tell you if this would be faster or not.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Full-Text Seaching in a Large Contacts Folder?

I have had some success with a search mechanism that involved me trawling my hard drive to build a MAMMOTH string containing every scrap of VB code, and a mechanism for searching that string.

Building the string takes about five minutes.

Searching the string takes about 20 seconds for ALL occurrences of a desired string.

The string format is tree-like - a computer is a set of logical drives; each drive is a set of paths, each path is a set of (Word template) files, each file is a set of Modules, each module is a set of procedures, each procedure is a set of lines.

I use the INSTR function (fast!) to locate text, then use the parent tags to determine what procedure, module, template, path, drive the text is to be found. The rest is easy.

I think that the advantage of this method (for you) would be that you can harvest every contacts-like file on a hard drive and inspect the lot, rather than using a proprietary tool to serach contacts files one at a time. My reasoning is that all too often, by the time we are searching for information about "Brooke", it is because we have lost him from our usual source, so locating data in a stale file might be valuable.