3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

O2K vCard problems... (Outlook 2000/sp1)

I have a user who can't import vCards (.vcf) into her contacts folder in Outlook 2000. She's on XP and when she opens the email with the .vcf attachment it looks like an Address Book card instead of an Outlook Contacts card. When she double clicks the attachment it opens up and looks like a regular old address book card, like in Outlook Express or in an Outlook address book (.pab). She can save the file to disk and then import it using Outlook's Import & Export feature, but she shouldn't have to and that's what I'm trying to fix.

There is someone next to her who also has XP and Outlook 2000 and it works perfectly on his system. When he opens the email the attachment (.vcf) looks like a Contacts folder card from his Outlook. When he double clicks it the file opens up and looks like one from his Contacts folder. He clicks Save & Close and it imports into his Contacts folder without a problem.

I've checked both of their setup's and they are very much the same. It appears to be a file association problem but I'm not sure how to fix it. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: O2K vCard problems... (Outlook 2000/sp1)

I would have the user with the problem perform a Detect and Repair (Help > Detect and Repair...), and see if this restores the file associations. If not, you might also try doing a repair installation using Add/Remove Programs.
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: O2K vCard problems... (Outlook 2000/sp1)

okay, i went over to her pc. she has xp so the instructions from the ms kb were a little different (http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...p;Product=out2K). when i changed the vcf extension to be opened by outlook it did end up making the attachment look like a contact card from an outlook contact folder, but when she double clicked it she was still asked if she wanted to open it and when she said yes it opened an email with the vcf file inserted as an attachment that once again looked like a wab card instead of an outlook contact card. does that make sense.

the vcf extension is set to use outlook.exe, but when it uses that program it just opens a new email with the vcf attached (an attachment).

i can't seem to get it to open as an outlook contact folder card. any help would be great. thx.