Lounger
    Thanks

Can 2 users share .pst file in OL 2000 / XP Pro ?? (Outlook 2000 / XP Pro)

I've recently upgraded to XP Pro at home. After setting up Outlook in my account and using it for a few days, I set up Outlook in my wife's account. I had imported .pst files into my account, and now did the same for her. I realized that even though the two accounts would be using the same ISP mail account , they would always be out of sync. How can I configure Outlook so that both of us can see the same Inbox etc.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can 2 users share .pst file in OL 2000 / XP Pr

If you are using the same PST and the same ISP mail account, I am not clear as to how you are getting "out of sync". The only issue should be messages be marked read - or having been filed - by one of you before the other has read it. Can you please expand?
    Gre

Lounger
    Thanks

When either user runs Outlook it creates a separate profile for that user. The .pst files from the old OS have to be imported into that Outlook session in that user's directory structure. After both users have been setup User A retrieves the mail and it's stored in User A's .pst file; User B then uses Outlook - but can't see the mail that was just collected by User A because User B is looking at a different .pst file.
    There's no way to do this without setting up a Mail Sever according to Microsoft - so I decided that we'll have to share the same Win XP account.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Check with your ISP, you may be able to get another email address one for each.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

It is quite possible for you to share the same PST file. Make sure that both WinXP users can access the others private folders. Close Outlook and move the PST files out of its default location - Documents and Settings[username]Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook. Re-open Outlook and point it towards the other user's PST file. You should now have access to the same mail store - but through different WinXP accounts.
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You should be aware that PST files are really not made to be shared. Only one of you will be able to use the PST file at a time (when the other logs on it will say the file is in use if you are already logged on). If this does not present a problem then the above suggestions will work fine.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Agreed. That is how I understood the query - as there was talking of logging on separately. OTOH, if they are using fast switching, Outlook will have to logged out of beofre the other can access the PST.
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I will get on my soap box again and plead for someone to develop a poorman's Exchange for home use (even the MS SBS 2003 which allows 5 users will cost ~$500). With two users networked on 3 machines I would love to use Exchange or its look-a-like and have access to shared and public folders. I have tried Outlook Plus but just couldn't get it to work.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for this! It's so easy to change store folders in Outlook Express, but I have been banging my head trying to figure out how to do it in Outlook. Thanks again!

(ps to Santa: All I want for Christmas is Woody's Lounge Search!!!)

kip