Silver Lounger
    West Long Branch, New Jersey, USA

Revisiting a Startup Issue

Probably around Feb, I posed a question on this lounge regarding some behavior that was certainly anti-social of Windows 98 (so what else is new?).

The issue involved a program that I downloaded (TClock) probably from ZD and the desktop menu button that I could place on my task bar. The problem was that on my 2 home computers things behaved differently than they do here at work (all on Win 98). At home, the above items are always there. Here, they come up if I explicitly invoke them and stay until the next time I restart Windows. However, TClock is shown by msconfig as being loaded when started.

Suggestions about the Registry didn't get too far.

Today, I was reading ZD's Smart Business Newsletter. It had an item about Win's System Info. So I poked around. In the software env section, there is a section on Startup Programs. TClock was listed as starting from the Registry (as opposed to Win.ini, Startup Group, or other choices). However, TClock was noted as "Registry (Per-User Run)" where as other items like TaskMonitor, System Tray were noted as "Registry (Machine Run)" and others as "Registry (Machine Service)". I would wonder if this might be something that is set in a corporate env.

Is this part of the problem? What do these diffs mean? How can I change this - it seems like having "Machine Run" is the target?

Doesn't solve the other issue of the Desktop button but it may be half the battle.

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Revisiting a Startup Issue

I believe the reference to "per user" refers to the logon you are using - under the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER. I don't have anything there, but you could look in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionRun

The following key applies to all users on the machine, I believe:

HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionRun

The one tied to the machine itself is under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionRun

...and that's where all my "stuff" is.