Lounger
    Thanks

'Use drop shadows for icon labels' (XP Pro)

The ''use drop shadows for icon labels'' option has no effect on my XP desktop. It WAS there then it was gone and I'm left with the annoying colored text box. I've searched Microsoft and Annoyances.org for info, and would like to hear any other suggestions.
    So far this is what I have found :

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Use drop shadows for icon labels' (XP Pro)

Hi Don--

If this doesn't help, I'll find some more later. Also you might want to look at Iconoid Version 3.2 which allows you to manipulate icon text backdrop and text color to a certain extent.

304117: Background Transparency and Drop Shadows Do Not Display on Desktop Icons

As you know, the above KB has the caveat for using active desktop or lock desktop and you've been there and seen that.

I saw this from Kelly's site under Remove Text but I'm not sure what her reference to transparent text is her:

Transparent text under icons - Right click the Icon/Rename and type in: ALT+0160

Also this could help, but it seems you've been there.

Icons - Transparent

Start/Settings/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Settings/Visual Effects/"Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop". If this still doesn't do the trick, right-click the desktop, point to Arrange Icons By and make sure that Lock Web Items on Desktop is un-checked.

I can't do it now, but you might want to hunt some of the registry keys and subkeys that tweak icon appearnce and see if you find a value that will help:

Display High Color Icons

I know the above edit has nothing to do with transparency, but I was hoping a key or one close might get you in the neighborhood to a transparency value. I'll look more later.

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Use drop shadows for icon labels' (XP Pro)

HAH !!!
    I solved it. After unchecking the "Lock desktop items" and unchecking the the "Drop shadow" boxes, I rebooted the PC. After it came up, I checked the "Drop shadow" box and ... all is well again. All the pieces were there, but the procedure was missing.
    Thanks for your help SMBP !!!

Don
    ( now if I can only solve the Outlook .pst problem !!! )