5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Distribution Lists (OXP-SR2)

I have a Distribution List called Members. I want to put it in the bcc, to avoid each member seeing 50 addresses. I tried a test list with 3 names. Outlook created a message with the list as an attachment. OK so far. Each recipient got the message, including a blank attachment. Annoying, but harmless. Each recipient also had my e-mail address in the TO field. Am I doing something wrong?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Distribution Lists (OXP-SR2)

I've never heard of outlook appending the list as an attachment. Or did you do that?

You have to have something in the To box. Every mail item needs a recipient. But it doesn't have to be you; it may not even be a live address. If you're asking whether Outlook should pull names from bcc and put them in each individual to line, then no - it doesn't do that. You're doing it right.

If the members of the DL are external accounts, then you might want to keep in mind that most spam filters will trap for email where the "to" data doesn't match the mailbox.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

How did you select the DL?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This response is also for OldDog.
    My test DL is called Test. I typed test into the bcc field. After a couple of seconds Outlook made it bold and underlined. When I click on it, it brings up a window labeled "Test - Distribution List". The contents of the Window are the members of the DL. After sending the e-mail I looked in Sent Mail. "Test" is now an attachment. Double clicking on Test shows my DL. One member of Test is me. When I get the e-mail it contains a 301 byte attachment which, when opened, is blank.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>You have to have something in the To box. Every mail item needs a recipient. But it doesn't have to be you; it may not even be a live address. If you're asking whether Outlook should pull names from bcc and put them in each individual to line, then no - it doesn't do that. You're doing it right.<hr>
    That's not exactly true. In Outlook 2000, you can enter an address in the Bcc: field, and leave the To: and Cc: fields blank, and the message will send.
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, but what about the blank attachment that the receipient gets?