Lounger
    Thanks

Updating TOC using F9 or Update Field doesn't work (XP)

Since Office XP has been installed company-wide, I've noticed that we cannot update our TOCs the traditional way. Simply pressing F9 or alternate-clicking and selecting Update Field used to do the trick, however, now when we do this our insertion point jumps to the top of the document and the TOC remains as it did. Is this a setting that we have to change to allow for the update?

Our only alternative is to re-insert the TOC each time or wait until we print and the dialog box will appear. I need to be able to update on the fly.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Take care,
    Solomission

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Updating TOC using F9 or Update Field doesn't work (XP)

F9 and Update Field work as in previous versions for me in Word 2002 SP-2. The problem you signal does not seem to occur widely; I found only one mention in the newsgroups and none in the Knowledge Base.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I am on a Offfice 2000 machine at the moment so I can't verify this for XP but in XP and 2000 if the h switch is included in the TOC then each line in the TOC becomes a hyperlink field and the entire TOC is a nested field.

This might mean that XP thinks you are updating just the current field selected rather than the entire TOC. If you select the first or last paragraph of the TOC then the entire thing should be selected - Does that allow you to update the TOC?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

Amazingly, that did not work. I thought as soon as I read your post that you had hit it on the head... But sadly your suggestion didn't work. It just keeps shooting me to the top of the document, without updating anything.

Thanks

It sounds as though the TOC might be in a protected section. Is that possible?? I can't find any other way to prevent access to it.

Lounger
    Thanks

No, it's not protected at all. This happens with all users here on their TOCs, regardless of the document.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Lets eliminate whether a macro is causing this problem.

Start Word by going to Start > Run and typing in
    winword /a
    and press OK

When Word is open go to Tools > Macro > Security and under the Security Level tab set this to High

Now choose File > Open and select one of these problem files and hold the Shift key down while you click the Open button.

Verify that under the Tools menu the option "Protect Document" is there (not "Unprotect Document")

Now try to update the TOC - does the problem still exist?

Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew, it worked! I receive the expected Update Table of Contents dialog box. Do you think this issue is a result of one of our templates or the macro(s) associated with it?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In a word - Yes.

Now to find out which macro in which template is causing the problem, you need to disable all of the possible culprits and then enable them one at a time and test each time. Do you need instructions to work through that task?

As an aside - you probably don't want your macro security set to high so put it back on whatever it was on before I told you to change it. The step of checking the file protection was completely unneccessary in the previous instructions too but I just added that in case this was the problem.

Lounger
    Thanks

Found it. There was a macro in that template called UpdateFields which overwrote Word's built-in macro. It was preventing us from being able to update our TOC and other field codes (cross-references, file paths, etc.) using F9 or alternate-click, Update Field. We have since fixed this. Andrew, thank you soooo much for your time and attention you spent on this with me.

Over and out,
    Solomission

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes! Thank you. I had a similiar problem which has been plaguing me for weeks. I have now tracked down the problem (someone kindly linked F9 to a macro called UpdateFields which only did Footers)