4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ONLINE CAR INSURANCE FORMS

Hi guys,
    Does anyone know EXACTLY how the car insurance quotation is calculated? I'm supposed to design an car insurance quotation form interface for OLDER adults and would like to find out where I could get a sample car insurance quotation form (code) or where could find out how it works.

PLEASE help...
    Thanx.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ONLINE CAR INSURANCE FORMS

Your questions are very broad. What features do you want to have on your form? Have you tried using Google to find examples of this type of application? (Searching for "auto insurance calculation" returned 94,800 hits...)

Are you comfortable with writing or modifying JavaScript? Are you comfortable with any server-side code (ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, CGI, etc..)?

These are the tools that one would need to use in order to create an application of that type. You can learn more about many of these technologies at W3Schools.com (one of my favorite free internet-related tutorial sites).

Thanks

Is this for an insurance company? If so, you would follow the methodology used for its current system, i.e., identify the critical parameters and then submit a query of some kind to the database. If it's for an insurance agency, there presumably are licensed interfaces that you need to work with. If it's more of an informational site, take a look at InsureMarket.com and other consumer insurance sites for ideas.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Guys,
    Sorry to have confused you.
    Thi is my proposal for a final year project at university:
    Online Car Insurance: Does age matter in more ways than one?

Little research exists into interface design for older adults. As the ageing population grows at a rapid rate, coupled with the ease at which internet access is available, companies offering online services may find that they are not tapping into the potentially profitable aging market, simply due to poor interface design.

Both young and older adults may choose to renew their car insurance online. Using existing guidelines and a series of experimental studies, this project seeks to evaluate current online car insurance forms, determine whether age has an effect on the completion of these forms and develop a sample

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 27-Nov-03 13:01. )</P>From reading your description, it sounds as though the first step is to study how people react to existing forms and take lessons from that. At that point, you could take your preliminary findings to agencies that serve seniors, or consumer protection, or Consumers Union (publishers of Consumer Reports) to see if they can hook you up with some data, either "real" data from an insurance company that is interested in your results, or "fake" data from actuarial tables.

By the way, InsureMarket appears to have morphed. Try http://www.insweb.com/ for a comparative rate shopping site. Obviously they have lots of inside information on rate calculations! Might be someone to partner up with on the second phase. If you really want the data now, and by data I mean to include the algorithms used to calculate rates, try asking some insurance agents.

Added: If it seems that I don't have an answer, it's because the way that insurance companies price their products is proprietary. Other than state laws and regulations (and, I suppose, possibly Federal and local laws and regulations), the companies are free to choose any formula that maximizes their profits. For that reason, if you want accurate calculations, you will need to find a willing donor. On the other hand, if you prefer, you could choose a highly regulated state that prescibes the factors that can be considered and follow those particular rules.