New Lounger
    Thanks

Need a phone message app (Outlook 2000)

Wouldn't it be nice to have a Outlook plugin or application that would send a phone message email to notify users on the LAN when someone has called the office?! Yeah man!
    Has anyone ever come across an application or a plugin that would allow this functionality?

Thanks

Re: Need a phone message app (Outlook 2000)

I would expect this to be found on the phone system side, or in a unified messaging platform (single inbox for voice and mail). Or I suppose you could set up your computer to call into your voicemailbox every 15 minutes...

New Lounger
    Thanks

What I am looking for is after taking a phone message a receptionist would, click on an app and type in the phone message which would get sent to a person on your LAN without having to open Outlook directly (I suppose you could make up a phone slip template and do the same thing). The app would use the emailing function of Outlook to send the message (perhaps VB script of some sort). Oh well...

Thanks

I've read here that there is a handy "while you were out" form for Outlook at http://www.slipstick.com/, but I haven't tried it myself.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the link to the app. It is a VB script that calls Outlook and emails your message to any person in your phone book. The only prob is that Outlook will require confirmation of an unauthorized email access and will requires a few more mouse clicks to send the "while you were out" reminder. Thank you again for the tip... Eric

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

While you were out was written for Outlook 98 - it is a great utility but I am looking for a similar product that will work with 2002 - does anyone know of any similar apps?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried running it with Outlook 2002? I did load it successfully on Outlook 2003, but have not road tested it. FYI, there is no sign of Microsoft updating it; although they do use the old version for hooking into their latest code samples.
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it should work perfectly with OL2002/2003. I use one called wywo built off that form that we found on CDOLive's downloads, http://www.cdolive.com/download/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> The only prob is that Outlook will require confirmation of an unauthorized email access and will requires a few more mouse clicks to send the "while you were out" reminder. <<

I found a utility program called Express ClickYes that will take care of this for you. I was running into the same problem with the synchronization program for my cell phone, and with a recipe program that needed to drop recipes into my Outlook Outbox.

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Thanks to all who responded - both those WYWO forms work with 2002. Now for the tricky bit. A number of our users view their email in a preview pane. Is there any way of populating the content of the message in the preview (I susupect this would need coding, an area I am really a novice on). Thanks in advance