3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MY OWN Tray Pollution

I went to MSCONFIG and examined what was in the startup and was able to eliminate some items but maybe someone can comment to leave or eliminate the following before I errantly botch up the works:

ScanRegistry c:windowsscanregw.exe /autorun

TaskMonitor c:windowstaskmon.exe

EM_EXEC CRIVE_DPROGRA~1LOGITECHMOUSEW~1SYSTEMEM_EXEC.EXE (DRIVE_D IS JUST A FOLDER NAME ON MY C: DRIVE)

TweakUI C:RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp

Here are some others I am not sure about that I found when I ran TaskManager: MSGSRV.EXE, MPREXE.EXE, MMTASK.TSK, pwagent.exe, WMIEXE.EXE, SPOOL32.EXE, RNAAPP.EXE, TAPISRV.EXE, PSTORES.EXE, Manager.exe

I know there is alot of info here so THANKS in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond to this lengthy missive.

Coinman33

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MY OWN Tray Pollution

Hi Coinman:

In general, start with as little as possible. Here's my take on what I know (& I'll tell you when I'm guessing):

>>ScanRegistry c:windowsscanregw.exe /autorun
    This backs up your registry. Keep it.

>>TaskMonitor c:windowstaskmon.exe
    This monitors the number of times you use an application. Win 98 uses this to see where to place apps on the hard drive during defrag operations. Keep.

>>EM_EXEC CRIVE_DPROGRA~1LOGITECHMOUSEW~1SYSTEMEM_EXEC.EXE This appears to be loading your mouse drivers, not positive. If you want, uncheck it & see if you still can use your mouse. I'd keep it.

>>TweakUI C:RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
    Obviously, you have TweakUI & know what it is. I keep it; useful for making certain changes without using regedit.

MSGSRV.EXE, MPREXE.EXE,
    MMTASK.TSK, pwagent.exe, WMIEXE.EXE, SPOOL32.EXE, RNAAPP.EXE, TAPISRV.EXE, PSTORES.EXE,
    Manager.exe

These should'nt all be loading at startup. But some of these you'll load as needed. I've forgotten what some are, but RNAAPP (Remote Network Access Application) is used when you access the internet & stays active about 15 minutes after you quit. It's not necessary to load at startup. Same with spool32.exe. Only necessary for spooling documents to printer. I don't really think you need any of them at startup, but maybe someone else can tell you what each are.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

spool32

Putting spool32.exe in the start-up folder is thought to reduce the likelihood of GPFs when printing. I have no idea whether it works, but I'm intrigued that it appears on this system as some kind of default!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MY OWN Tray Pollution

Thanks for your thoughts

Coinman33

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: spool32

Putting Spool32 in Startup didn't work for me. Now I'm looking for more answers! Version 4.10.1998 I heard I should replace it with a later version (like 4.90.3000).