Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joining 2 docs in Word (97 & 2000)

I have a document which was created in Word 97. I want to add in a document created in Word 2000 - the 2000 document has automatic paragraph and page numbering and I want to keep this. When I add it in using copy and paste it mucks up all the numbering. I tried linking them together but without much success as I dont really know how this works. Can anyone help?

Both documents are very large and I dont want to have to re-type if possible. The document also needs to be emailed as one document at the end of the day.

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Joining 2 docs in Word (97 & 2000)

There is a way to convert the paragraph numbering to actual hard numbers, rather than auto numbering. Would this be acceptable for your document? Frankly, I don't have any other ideas for that. (The code has been posted here, but I haven't looked for it.)

Regarding page numbering, how complicated is the numbering?? If you place a section break before the new material, you can restart the numbering after you insert it. However, if your Word 2000 document has very complicated numbering with numerous sections, then you might be better off going the other way around (inserting the Word 97 document into the Word 2000 document, again in its own section).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you use "insert, file", you'll get a cleaner result.
    If your document with numbering has styles assigned, the numbering should be preserved. If you are pasting into a document with that same style name (i.e.heading style) and the style definition in the new document does not have numbering, you should re-define the style name in the source document before inserting (or pasting) into the destination document. This will resolve any style conflicts

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The way to convert numbering to hard-coded text that Jefferson refers to is a VBA instruction. You can execute it as follows:
    - Activate the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11)
    - Activate the Immediate window (Ctrl+G)
    - Type ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText and press Enter
    - Switch back to Word (Alt+F11)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Before inserting the document I'd change the compatibility options to Word 2000 since that's what you are using now and make sure all the 'AutoFormat as You Type' options are NOT enabled. Next, if the numbering in the inserted document is using the same heading styles as in the first document, the numbering will run amok. If you are using say, Heading 1 ("1."; "Article 1", or whatever) in the front end and you insert the other document at the end using the same style, namely "Heading 1", yes, the numbering will mess up. If the inserted document is using the same style of numbering say, Heading 1 ("1."; Article 1, or whatever) what you need to do is create new styles for the inserted document; if the inserted document is say a Schedule or Exhibit attached to the document, the numbering can be/look the same but it must have a different name, say Schedule 1, Schedule 2, etc. If the inserted document is merely a continuation of the document then just run through the document inserted applying the same heading styles to the inserted document.