Thread: Bad Hot Fixes?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Bad Hot Fixes?

OK.. so some of my clients are having problems with their pcs, and I remember some hotfixes that when removed, solved some issues. Can anyone tell me of hotfixes that we know of that would be an issue?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bad Hot Fixes?

The only recent problematic update I'm aware of is the cumulative Internet Explorer update for November, 2003, with number Q824145. It causes annoying behavior of scroll bars in Internet Explorer and some other applications. But it is mostly an annoyance.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I've been following these Hotfixes closely since the launch, reading a number of the XP/Windows newsletters and sites Woody's included and while many times patch problems are blamed on patches when they are because of software in the equation of that machine or spyware, one patch that drew a lot of press, Woody discussed, and seemed to genuinely slow down many machines was the Q811493 hotfix back in April 2003 contexted by

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-013 Buffer Overrun in Windows Kernel Message Handling could Lead to Elevated Privileges (811493).

Latest Windows XP Patch Slows PC's PC World April 22, 2003

Microsoft Reworks Win XP Patch

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Has this problem popped up due to the recent hot fix? I've been trying to log into my networked pc using my regular user account and Win2k insisted on creating a new user account for me, adding '.sbc' to my network login. All my files and settings are under user=rasleyd, but now it will only allow me to log into user=rasleyd.sbc. Thankfully I still have access to my programs, but all personalized settings are gone. I even tried logging into the pc as 'Administrator' and again Win2k insisted on creating a new user account. Safe mode didn't help either. Everything was working perfect when I left work on Wednesday, but now I'm thoroughly snafu'd.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Are you saying that you can't even access the folders where the data for the old profiles is held when logged in as Administrator? (BTW Sorry to note your enforced relocation.)
    Gre

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The folders are still there and fully accessible, though in a round-about way. Made a little workaround for the problem though; just copied all of my settings to the new userid, piecemeal in some cases when Windows balked at copying a single file and aborted the entire copy process. Thankfully all my files were in a generic "C:My Documents" instead of being tied to a specific userid, so none of the links, shortcuts or paths got fouled up.

My best guess is that something corrupted the existing user profile files when I shut down Wednesday, and when I booted up today Windows didn't recognize them as valid user profiles. Then, as I logged in, it couldn't use the existing folders so created new ones.

Still, I'd like to know if this was caused by some errant hot fix or general windows malaise.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I've seen this happen on NT4 machines - so it may be "general Windows malaise".
    Gre