Thanks

Desktop Rearranged

I am using Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition 4.10.2221.

Recently, after a 'crash' (explorer reported an error) where I thought I managed to use the task list to 'exit gracefully,' when I rebooted I found my desktop 'scrambled' in accordance with some Redmond rule. Now when I rearrange it, it comes up 'scrambled' again after each reboot.

I now realize that I should have better documented the 'crash,' but I was tired and almost done for the evening.

Has some *.ini file been modified that controls this function?

Thanks,

John
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Desktop Rearranged

I know that changing a resolution will screw up your icons. The best thing that I've found is Tidy95, which can be found on the www.zdnet site(sorry, I can't remember exactly where). You can save various configurations & restore them easily. On the other hand, you should be able to have Win98 keep the current layout after a reboot. You might go to Start/Run & use sfc<enter> for the System File Checker to see if any files are corrupt. I would also delete any temp files that lay around after a crash.

You should be able to rearrange your icons the way you want, right click & choose line up icons, & have it stick. Perhaps if you arrange by name or one of the standard choices, reboot, & then arrange your icons, it will stick.
    Hope this helps,

Thanks

Phil,

Thanks for the prompt response. I did some maintenance (housekeeping and defragging) over the holiday.

I think I've discovered something pernicious. When I 'right click' the desktop background and 'hover' over the "Arrange Icons" item in the dropdown, I see that the "Auto Arrange" sub-item has been checked. Last night I unchecked it. That allowed me to arrange the desktop. When I was done I used <F-5> (I think I read that this will save the desktop configuration), but today everything is grouped 'a la Redmond' and the "Auto Arrange" is checked again. (I just checked and the <F-5> 'refresh' did not turn on "Auto Arrange.") Somewhere there must be a routine which is called on start-up that rechecks it. Do you have any idea where to look and what to do?

I did not download the current version of "Tidy5" because I encountered a ZDNet Subscription Page. Unlike some other 'freeware' I did not find any alternative sites for this utility when I did a quick search.

Thanks,

John
    Baumgrenze

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure what registry entry controls this. However, I think I found a link to download Tidy95. As usual, virus check it if you download it.
    Cheers,

Thanks

Thanks again, Phil!

In the intirim I downloaded and installed ActiveIcons, which is supposed to have a 'save locations' option. I'll see how it works.

John
    Baumgrenze

Thanks

Thanks for the detailed response.

For the present, I don't need another 'hobby' like 'regfile' editing.

Last night I survived a hard crash with no desktop damage.

I think I'll stop here for now.

John
    Baumgrenze

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John--

Take a look at this thread where we batted arround registry keys for icons. I don't have a 98 machine to look at but there are a lot of similarities in some of the keys from Wni 9X and Win XP and their interface with a Win 98 desktopso you can see. Some of the values are explicit and some of the values are hidden or not intuitive to say the least. The problem started on the XP thread was to keep Redmond from being the Icon conscierge and housekeeper with its grids:

Desktop XP Pro

I quoted some from Woody's new XP book on the icon grid that might apply to 98 in that thread, as well as a discussion of Iconoid--a free app for coloring icon text and background and hiding them with a mouse click which does have a "positions tab."

Post 291451: Registry Key and Subkeys All 41 for Icons Win XP Maybe 98--and values?

You also might get some help from here:

Kelly's Korner Windows 98

Organize Your 98 Desktop

SMBP