New Lounger
    Thanks

dnserror.htm (win98 (IE 5 & 6))

Have a small lan network (accessing an internet connection), 10pcs. Majority are coming up with this error and cannot make a connection. However the remaining PCs have no problem. Some PCs have IE 5 (one I know connects) and some have IE 6. Any suggestions why this is happening. To my knowledge we have a IDSL? ISDL? or maybe jetstream connection now? Not too sure now.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: dnserror.htm (win98 (IE 5 & 6))

What OS on which machines?

What Network software if not using "Peer to Peer"?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Krista--

What are the OS's on these "some pc's"? and giving it/them always contributes to solving an IE problem because some fixes are OS specific--can you tell us what the whole error message says? Any error boxes? What can you learn when he puts up the run box by hitting the Windows and "r" key and typing in "eventvwr.msc" and looing quotes and clicking on applications/system and scrolling down the list about the time of the problem--this takes all of 8 seconds and a couple mouse clicks and often leads to the info that gets you out of a jam. Microsoft's Technet webcast on Tuesday on Windows XP troubleshooting was devoted to an hour of this.

The reason I say this is that searching for that error message I can find it but not useful information on threads and nothing came up when I searched the MSKB using its advanced search and a better search of it that isn't Microsoft's--Google.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

OS is Win98 on all machines. It is only a file & print server. Not a true network as such. more like a peer to peer network I would guess.

New Lounger
    Thanks

error is basically something similar to
    C:windowssystems......dnserror.htm ..... ( sorry I can't be more exact I'm not in front of it right now). What happens is that some PCs aren't able to access the internet for any websites. And on the title bar of IE this error occurs.

Hope you can help

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If you type: res:shdoclc.dlldnserror.htm in you address bar and hit Enter, the page should display. This simply means... "the browser cannot connect to the address in question".

This sounds like a Networking problem and not an IE problem. The Network may not be set up correctly for all machines to access the Internet. Do each of the machines have their own unique IP address?? Is an NAT router being used to connect them to the Internet? How exactly are the boxes connecting to the Internet?

If you go to one of the boxes that cannot connect, open up a DOS box:

Start | Run
    Type "command" (no quotes) and hit Enter
    Type "tracert 63.151.114.115" (no quotes) and hit Enter.
    (This may take some time. Go get some coffee.)

How many actual IP addresses does this list out before it gets to all the "Request timed out" responses? What are the first 5 to 6 numbers of the IP addresses that it does list?

After you do that -- and collect the info -- then type this: "tracert www.wopr.com" (no quotes) and hit Enter. What happens now?

Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for helpful info. I know it's a holiday weekend--when you get the chance does this match your error, possibly with a different .dll and does it have any numbers as "event ID's?" I understand Win 98 doesn't have the Event Viewer set up some of the later OS's do.

windowssystem3232shdoclcdlldnserror.htm

1) You might give a look at the browser security settings and see if they could be the problem on some of your machines.

2) Also run Spybot and Adaware and if you need links they are here, and to expand and see the entire thread click on the bars at the upper right above the post:

Post 296439 Links for Spybot and Adaware

3) AIM is known to cause this error--are you using AOL Instant Messenger?

Shdoclc.dll: How to Configure Internet Explorer to Work with AOL as Your ISP

SMBP