Thread: USB 2.0

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB 2.0

How can you tell if your system has USB 2.0 or not?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB 2.0

Ask it!!

For XP, click on My Computer => Manage => System Tools => Device Manager => Universal Serial Bus controller and look for instances of "USB 2.0"

Lots of other hardware enumerating utilities will be suggested, no doubt!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John, Under DEVICE MANAGER, the Universal Serial Bus Controllers has two entries as follows;

Intel 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442
    Intel 82801 BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444

Then there are two listings for USB ROOT HUB.

Does not look like they are 2.0 - what do you think?

The computer is a Gateway, 1.8 Mhz, about 2 years old.

I would like to hook up an external hard drive using a USB controlled enclosure that uses 2.0.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

On the basis that nobody ever talks about "version 1.x" until version 2.0 comes out, I would be fairly certain that these are USB 1.1 controllers. Searching on Google and on the Intel website doesn't make me think they're USB 2.0!

If I understand your situation correctly, your best bet is probably to buy and install a separate USB 2.0 controller card for a few tens of $s, and connect the USB 2.0 hard drive to that.

Don't forget that you always get USB 1.1 data transfer rates if you put a USB 2.0 device on any bus which is USB 1.1, or has any USB 1.1 device on it.

To get USB 2.0 data transfer rates, the bus and all devices on it must be USB 2.0 rated.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So are you saying that if I hooked up the 2.0 hard drive enclosure to a USB 1.1 port, it would work but at the 1.1 speed.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

That is the accepted wisdom!

I don't know whether you can access the USB Man forum but the question I point to reminds me of the following:

"...if you purchase a USB 2.0 PCI card with an NEC chipset, most Pentium 2 or [above!] should have no problems, though you will need Windows 98SE / ME for USB 2.0 support. Windows 2000 requires service pack 4, and XP service pack 1 plus later updates."

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

trebor,

The Intel 82801BA is USB 1.1.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you want to see which version of USB (1.1 or 2.0) that is on your system you will need to open the Device Manager. In Windows 9x go to the desktop and right-click on My Computer and then select Properties then the Device Manager tab. If you have Windows XP and My Computer is not on the desktop go to Start and right click on My Computer then choose Properties and finally select the Hardware tab then the Device Manager button.
    With either version of Windows you will next need to click on the plus (+) next to Universal Serial Bus controllers. If any of the items listed here state Enhanced then that one is USB 2.0 otherwise the ports are USB 1.1.
    Since yours do not appear to have Enhanced then I would go with the 1.1 assumption.