2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Page view and print preview different (97 SR2)

When I view a Word document in page preview and then change to print preview the page lengths appear different. The document is a table than spans multiple pages. Each view shows different amount of rows on the page. Shouldn't both these views be identical. Does Word have trouble deceiding where a row will finish in each view? Or is there something wrong with my table?
    Any help appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Page view and print preview different (97 SR2)

Since nobody else reacted, I'll ask a few naive questions:

Do you have fields in the table, and do you display field codes? Depending on the field, the field code can take up less or more space than the field result.

Do you display non-printing characters? This shouldn't make a difference, but still...

Have you tried selecting a different printer (if possible, of course)? This can have a big impact.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Page view and print preview different (97 SR2)

I think Hans may have hit the nail on the head with the printer question. I have Word 2000, but go to Tools/Compatibility Options & look for Use printer metrics to lay out document.

If this option is enabled, Word will use the information from the printer driver that is installed, as in some earlier versions of Word. If this option is disabled (default), Word will use built-in metrics to lay out the document. This means your document will look the same no matter what printer driver is installed. It also means that documents converted from older versions will scroll faster. However, the pagination may be slightly different in print preview than during actual printing. If you DON'T have Tools/ Compatibility/ Use printer metrics to lay out document checked (the default) then print preview always uses the default printer. If you DO have that option checked, then Word uses the printer's printer driver & you can see the difference in the document & in print preview.
    Cheers,