New Lounger
    Thanks

100% CPU Usage (2003)

Several weeks ago, I did a clean install of Office 2003 Pro over a clean install of Windows XP Home on a machine with an AMD 2400+ and 512 megs of RAM. While tracking down strange behavior, I noticed that Outlook sometimes jumps to near 100% CPU usage and stays there. It happens when I send a message and periodically at other times for no apparent reason - perhaps tied to inactivity. A routine 'receive messages' does not trigger the problem. It is similar to the redline problem earlier this year with some machines after installing Office 2000 SR-3.

I have scanned, checked, unchecked, poked and prodded everything I can think of. There are no add-ins or external programs impacting Outlook, other than Norton Anti-Virus scanning incoming and outgoing messages. I haven't been able to find anything on the Web to help, so I turn to you.

Thanks in advance.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 100% CPU Usage (2003)

I was doing some research on Bandwidth problems a couple of weeks ago and came across this KB Article... this may interest you...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;Product=ol2002

Also, I found this article interesting, wherein Outlook begins sending attachments prior to sending an item when using Exchange Server... I do not think you are on an Exchange Server, but just in case...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;Product=ol2002

Actually there is quite a bit of information on the KB using Outlook 2002 as the program and 100% CPU Usage as the search string - Ensure to increase the results limit from 25 to the max 150. Maybe you will find what your looking for! I do realize you are working in 2003, but I find that some bugs just keep on being inherited by the new versions and there aren't any new KB Articles so I look for the problem in previous versions. Hope this helped a bit! Good luck... trish

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response. You are correct - I am not on Exchange Server.

I will keep digging for the problem in older versions.

Hope the weather in Canada is not yet too frigid!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hard as it may be to type with my fingers crossed, I think I have the solution. I found an article in the techtv site by Chris Pirillo suggesting the use of the inbox repair tool - a tool that I didn't know existed. Running it on my .pst file found and fixed numerous errors. So far so good! The tool (scanpst.exe) can be found with the Search tool from the Start menu. Thanks to techtv and Chris!