3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error Report (Access 2000)

I'm getting the following error message when I'm running a report: "The MS Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time."

I'm the only user and the reports is run from a query populated from information on a form. Nowhere in the code I'm changing any data and the strange thing is the report was working fine yesterday. Please help

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Error Report (Access 2000)

You can get messages like this when you are the only user because you have two things happening at the same time that conflict with each other. In other words you can be two users at the same time.

What do you mean by "query populated from information on a form"?
    All data lives in tables. Is the form providing criteria for the query or is the actual data for the report displayed in an open form ?
    Regards
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have a report that is generated from a query. The criteria for the query is loaded from a open form. The open form have a listbox that is populated by a SQL query running on a table.

I've tried to copying the query and taking out the criteria as supplied by the form, but it still gives me the same error. How & where do I find the "other user"/"process" that is attempting to change the data?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The error message you get can also mean that the database is corrupted.
    <UL><LI>Make a copy of the database.
    <LI>Do a Compact and Repair (Tools | Database Utilities).
    <LI>If there are problems, you'll get an error message and a table named MSysCompactError will be created with information about the problems that were found. You will probably have lost the contents of a few records.
    <LI>If you can't Compact and Repair from within the database, you can try to do it using the stand-alone tool JetComp.exe. See ACC2000: Jet Compact Utility Available in Download Center.
    <LI>If that doesn't help either, try importing as many database objects as possible into a new, blank database.[/list]The final resort is a recent uncorrupted backup copy...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, what is strange is that allows compacting & repairs without any error messages. But I followed your final word of advise and fortunately I made a backup last night.

Thanks for the advise