Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 Hangs on Exit (11.5608.5703)

Outlook 2003 hangs on exit. Icon remains in right hand Task Manager in WindowsXP and program remains in list of active processes. Different from Word 2003, which, on exit, disappears from task Manager and is no longer an active "process".
    How is this corrected?
    Does it matter that the program icon has been moved from the desktop to the Quick Launch toolbar at the bottom of the screen?

Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 Hangs on Exit (11.5608.5703)

If another program has "used" Outlook, for example, if Word is your e-mail editor and Word is still open, or if IE fired up a new message in Outlook using a mailto link, Windows sometimes will keep Outlook running (invisibly, usually) for the benefit of the other programs/processes that accessed it. So in order to truly confirm that there is a problem, you should shut down any other applications that interacted with Outlook and give it a few minutes to finish its clean-up.

Note: the above is based on experience with (and posts concerning) Outlook 2000/2002.

Thanks

I'm having the exact same problem, Barry, and I'm at wits end. I, too, would like a resolution to this before the rest of my hair is pulled out...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What addins are you guys using? Cradling an IPAQ before opening Outlook causes it, as does using stamps.com software and anything else that accesses outlook data.

Get http://sunflowerhead.com/software/knockout/ and you can see if outlook closes and close it from the tray when it remains open.

Thanks

Updated Dec 10: I have found that the problem with exiting Outlook 2003 occurs (in my instance) only if I have Winfax Pro and Outlook integration set to "Enable sending faxes by email" -- if I uncheck this option in WinFax Pro's Program Setup, Outlook 2003 exits properly. Yay!

I unchecked all the COM add-ins and those modules listed in Add-In Manager, but that didn't solve it (so I rechecked them all). Any other ideas?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear BarryC

I had the same problem. I was in contact twice with Symantec Tech Support about this. The second time I got a very knowledgeable support person. He directed me to a URL to Download an update, Version 10.03, which was released prior to the release of Outlook 2003. We tried various things without success.

The final solution was to remove the WinFax-Outlook integration. There are two documents available on the Symantec Support Site. Sorry, but I don't have the URLs only the Titles. "How to integrate WinFax PRO 10.02 and Outlook 2002 on a limited basis"
    is the first. Look at , "Section 2 - How to disable WinFax 10.02 Outlook XP integration" of this document. This will tell you how to remove the integration from WinFax. However, to remove the integration from Outlook you will need another document, "How to disable WinFax Integration with Outlook 2000."

One word of caution. A few days after I removed the integration from Outlook, I ran Norton WinDoctor. It removed an invalid registry entry having to do with one of the winfax integration files'wfoladin.dll'. This caused an error message in Outlook upon start up that 'wfoladin.dll' is not a valid Office add-in, though this file was not present in the path given by the error message. I solved this problem by removing the add-in key for this file in Outlook. I backed up the key first. Editing the registry is a dangerous business for anyone not familiar with it and should only be done with great caution. If you need this fix, please contact me or, preferably, seek advice from a senior Lounge member .

Hyam Miller