Lounger
    Thanks

Favorites List (6.0.2800.1106 SP1)

I would like my favorites list to be in alphabetical order. I constructed it originally that way but can't seem to keep it that way. When I add new folders they go to the bottom. I have gone to the Favorites folder and sorted everything there but when I view the favorites list in IE it isn't sorted. Closed IE after sorting favorites but didn't help. Read Woody's Windows XP Timesaving Tips for Dummies and followed his instructions but it doesn't work. Oddly, I don't have an Exit menu item under File in IE. I have only Close. Didn't notice that before today but think it a bit odd. Is this normal?
    I have used IE for over a year but still find its favorites frustrating and not even close to easy to use Bookmarks under Netscape.
    Can anoyone solve this problem of sorting favorites for me?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Favorites List (6.0.2800.1106 SP1)

You can sort the Favorites in Internet Explorer itself: right-click any of your favorites, and select Sort by Name from the context menu.
    Similarly, you can select Start | Favorites, then right-click any favorite, and select Sort by Name.

My Internet Explorer also doesn't have File | Exit. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (9.8 KB, 0 views)

Thanks

In case it wasn't clear from Hans' screen shot, he is sorting the Favorites menu from the menu bar and not the Favorites pane that you can cause to appear on the left side of the browser window. They have subtly different right-click menus.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Doug:
    Just out of curiosity, how did you find Netscapes bookmarks to be easy? I have both NS 4.75 & Mozilla, but find the bookmarks to be impossible to organize. Although I can find different sort options on the View toolbar, none of them ever work..

Lounger
    Thanks

The thing I like the most about Netscape is that as the number of book marks grows so does the display of them when you click on Bookmarks. Eventually it fills the entire screen in several columns. If it grows larger than that then you have to reseort to editing them to see the missing entries but you do see a lot of bookmarks at a single glance. With IE you see a single column of favorites with scroll arrows at the bottom or top and if your list is large then you scroll for several seconds to get to the ones you want. What a pain!
    I also like Netscapes ability to File a new bookmark at a specific spot. IE has this capability too but its a little more awkward to do it.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all who responded to my question. I had no idea IE had that capability. It is now considerably easier to maintain.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Also, to make Favorites more manageable, do NOT try to use the built-in "Organzie Favorites" Interface. It is a dog.

Instead, click Favorites up to, then hold the Shift key and click Orgnaize Favorites. This opens your Favorites in an Explorer window. You can now easily create multiple sub-folders and populate them using drag&drop.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You might check out Favorite's Home Page and Faves to Go from Kelly's Tweaks Line 108 and on --I couldn't find any of the threads--one is SWF&W but not listed under Favorites. They both confer a nice web page look to all your favorites and make them hyperlinks--you can color code them and do a few other things.

Here is a thread on them:

Favorites Home Page and Faves to Go IE Lounge Last Post June 12, 03.

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 03-Dec-03 17:48. to add correction)</P>Hi Doug:
    Sorry for taking so long to respond; the next two weeks are hectic for me. Thanks for sharing your reasons.

However, I found that Favorites does expand, rather than scroll.
    ----------------------------Correction-------------------------------
    The following does change the behavior of the start menu, but doesn't change the scrolling behavior of the Favorites menu in IE. I should have checked before I posted. I used Avant Browser, which uses the IE engine, but behaves differently. Therefore, the steps below don't change the scrolling behavior for IE.
    -----------------------End Correction-------------------------------------
    I think this is a function of the OS. I have Win 98 SE & noticed that behavior on the Start menu had changed. To change it:
    1. Start Regedit and go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftware MICROSOFTWindowsCurrent VersionExplorerAdvanced

2. Edit / New / String Value

3. Type in StartMenuScrollPrograms

4. Double-click the new value and type FALSE as the data.

Also, you can add the current page as a Favorites bookmark by pressing Ctrl+D while viewing the page.
    Cheers,