Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naming IE Icon

Thanks

Naming IE Icon

How do you rename the Internet Explorer icon?

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Naming IE Icon

Hey Chuck--

Are you going to name it Chuck? or SMBP? As you know these are specialized "system icons" so you can't just right click them and hit rename on the context menu. Doug Knox also has a hyperlink for a VB utility if you prefer. This is the subkey for the default IE icon.

Default IE Icon: {871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}

Rename Desktop Icons by Doug Knox

Ed Note SMBP: This should work in Win 2K or Win XP. I don't have mine on my desktop, but I right clicked it in Programs, and renamed it so I guess you can just right click it or press F2 and rename it.--I thought " 'system icon' or 'shell icon' characteristics" would prevent this--guess not.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have it on my desktop but I right clicked it in Programs and named it CW Billow so you might be able to simply right click it and I guess I was mistaken--I thought thought that because it had "system icon or shell icon" characteristics, you couldn't get by this easily. Have you tried this? I think I'll keep it this way--very distinguished name.

SMBP

Thanks

SMBP:

I just tend to have a pechant for efforts in seemingly unanswerables... Norton has had the ability to rename several icons for years... but not that one... strange...

Nae it SMore betta... ?

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks

SMBP:

The "icon" in Programs is a shortcut... that on the desktop is a shell icon, and not modifiable in the same manner... but then,
    Rename Desktop Icons by Doug Knox worked great... SMBP has more pinache though... we/I just named my daughter's partnership WHPT Enterprises (We Hate Paying Taxes)... acronyms are the rage... she had wanted CTFU... did you ever see "Tears of the Sun" with Bruce Willis?

Thanks for the assist...

Regards,
    Chuck

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks and as John McClane undoubtably said after the helecopter went down in Die Hard "that affirms my belief system that those default desk icons and the one Doug names of course are shell or some people call them system interchangably icons." I haven't seen the movie with Monica Belluci and any guys that chose to string along with her yet.

SMBP

Thanks

SMBP:

Yea well... so as to not aggravate whomsoever by misusing this board, I'll leave that one alone...

Is there an "EASY" way (did I say book) to find things like this out when I need them?

Chuck

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

One of my favorite resources, and other people on the Lounge could give you so many good ones I don't know--maybe they will want to chime in, is to go to Kelly's A to Z and another is to go to www.mvps.org--not going to even link you here and go to the site in your chosen area of query, and also if you go to the Windows XP site and click on some of their MVP's web pages they feature on the site, and mundane as this is it works wonders--you know google--the household appliance Edison invented with the lightbulb and so much else--do variations of Windows XP searches and you'll come up with incredible resources some times. Further, a little trick I use is that I search google images because you can sometimes extrapolate that someone has made a great site (and of course not always) by a screenshot--I get onto these obscure yahoo and other groups attbi comcast.net whatever where someone has put up a dynamite web page. They want to teach but they want to do it as inexpensively (understandably) as possible so they take advantage of the free web pages their ISP allows--for example Comcast will let you make a web page or two free. How elaborate, ect. I don't know--I haven't done this type thing.

I get a lot of my resources from sites that the Lounge passes on to me as well--some excellent ones.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

This is not meant to sound cute, but one of the spinnoffs from tracking down problems is that you bump into some amazing tips and sites. I just bumped into one that started a service I know nothing about that may have sapped resources so I stopped it the good old distributed transaction coordinator and I didn't knowingly start it--"dcomcnfg" in the run box. But not to skid off-- I get an awful lot of help from googling from a question and even if I don't use the source for the particular problem because everyone who searches knows you're going to kiss some frogs that may not be on point to the particular problem you target, but later may be great helps and if they're very good I save them in folders I can find easily.

One key and this may seem off topic to you, is that if you have XP you can use Show in Groups to make up for the limping, crippled, impared and time consuming job that XP Search does. I mean no disrespect to anyone or anything but I use those words to discribe XP search to mean metaphorically it is sick and needs to be made well--I guess, I hope by Dr. Longhorn developer evangelist I dunno.

SMBP

Thanks

SMBP:

"dcomcnfg" was a find...!! ... rn it to see what and where, and it found 6-7 errors... are they errors? ... risk of correction?...

ah me...

Chuck

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck--

I am going to put up some questions about it in the XP thread for some people who frequent MSDN to try to help me understand what it does. When I went their though and used this as a reference even though I don't have an SAS server setup for its imfo--the steps turned it on--it seemed to slow me down and CPU was staying at a maximum sucked 100% so I turned it off and my performance picked right up.

Setting Global Permissions on Windows XP

You may beat me to it. I just enjoy run box shortcuts and where they take me and how many steps the can some times save but I felt like I just went to see a view of the lake and I was swimming in some cold water because I thought I only looked at the set up and it was on.

SMBP

Thanks

SMBP:

It'll be interesting to see... obviously making little if any different to the *needs* on a single-user pc, but good to know nonetheless, to save you trouble if you come across install issues due to the primary focus of a given OS...

Chuck

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If nothing else it's one more quick shortcut through a runbox command to get to interfaces that are part of the MMC--and if you have any commands that work in that box you think I haven't seen please pass them on. Unrelated but if you put "wmplayer2" in the run box of XP you'll bring up an intact WMP 6.4 that will run concomittantly with 8 or 9 without conflict. How about on your Win 2K machine?

SMBP

Thanks

SMBP:

Except that the command is "mplayer2.exe", it worked... I've gotten OE to work other places... might be that link in particular...

Chuck

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I don't put the .exe in my run box--too much hard labor. It fills it in automatically on any command but of course you're correct.

SMBP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast