Star Lounger
    Thanks

Header on first page only (Word 2000)

I am preparing a multi page mail merge document and only want the header ( our letterhead ) to show on the first page and not on any of the other pages. I have tried section breaks to no avail. Any help is appreciated

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Header on first page only (Word 2000)

File > Page Setup... > Layout > Headers and Footers > Different First Page

This will allow you to specify different headers and footers for the first page in a single section.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the information. When I tried to implement your suggestion, the header disappeared from the first page and appeared on the second page. Go figure??? How do I find out how many sections there are in this 14 page mail merge. From you suggestion, if I make the whole document one section then it should work.

Thanks

> When I tried to implement your suggestion, the header disappeared from the first page and appeared
    > on the second page. Go figure???

If you look at the little legend near the header, you'll find that the original header

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Lawrence:
    No, you don't want to make the merged document a single section...at least I don't think so from what you've said so far. If you are creating form letters, each merge is in a separate section. That means if your main document is one page long & you merge 14 records, you get ONE page with 14 next page sections. If your main document is two pages long, you get 14 sections, each with 2 pages for a total of 2 pages. I know it defies logic, but that's how Word defines it.

If you're sending out 14 letters, then you want the letterhead on the first page of each of the 14 letters. One way to do this is to create the regular header first (the one for the 2nd & subsequent pages, if any) and THEN follow Stuart's instructions. You can then create the First Page Header, which will apply to each section.
    Cheers,