2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hide Outlook Address Bar?? (2002 SP-2)

I never use, and don't want, the address bar in Outlook. Right clicking on any other toolbar gives me an option to hide the other toolbars, but not the address bar. Any way to get rid of it? (Maybe I wouldn' t mind otherwise, but I have Norton AntiSpam installed, and no matter what I do, it insists on (a) loading its toolbar, and ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] putting its toolbar on a separate line. So, I suppose if anyone knows how to permantently move/hide the Norton Spam bar, that would be an alternative.)

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Hide Outlook Address Bar?? (2002 SP-2)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 30-Nov-03 11:31. Made clearer which bar I was talking about.)</P>I think this was discussed earlier this year and the answer was No, you cannot get rid of the Address bar (the one that displays the folder title). But you can slide the vertical divider just to the left of the word Address nearly to the right end of the bar (leaving just the word Address), thereby making it a bit less annoying. (Double-clicking the word Address seems to toggle the positiioning.)

Thanks

Regarding the Norton Anti-Spam toolbar, most programs provide a GUI for you to decide whether to display their toolbar; no such luck? In most cases, if you reposition an Office toolbar, the add-in will not disturb your choice. If you choice is being disturbed, sloppy programming probably is to blame.

What can you do? With built-in toolbars, you can "disable" them. If you never want to access this toolbar again, you could do that, but if you simply want it to be invisible until called, this would be inconvenient for you. Instead, you might set up a macro that hides it at start-up. Without conducting some experiements, I don't know if the sequence/timing would work out. Perhaps someone who runs an add-in can play with this?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I figured it probably had been discussed before. Can't wait for the search function to be restored.

I was just hoping that there was some macro or registry tweak that would make it go away. I sure don't need it taking up that much vertical space. Thannks anyway.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree that most programs are polite and provide options such as you describe. Symantic/Norton doesn't. No matter how you set/move the bar, when you close then reopen Outlook, Norton puts it back on its own line under all the other toolbars. I already searched the Symantec knowledgebase and Google Groups looking for a solution, but no luck.

I suppose I could try to write a macro, as you suggest, but Outlook macro programming seems weird and difficult (compared to, e.g., Word macros). Any suggestions re a good tutorial?

Thanks

Not sure about online tutorials, you could try the Developer section at Slipstick.

While CommandBars (menu bar and toolbars) are part of the Microsoft Office object model and work much the same in all applications, the container with which they are associated varies from one application to the next. In Outlook, the main interface is typically addressed via the ActiveExplorer while a message window's toolbars are manipulated via the ActiveInspector (this requires such a window to be open).

You could try something like this in ThisOutlookSession:

Private Sub Application_Startup()
    ' Hide the "Annoying Test" toolbar
    ActiveExplorer.CommandBars("Annoying Test").Visible = False
    End Sub

To determine the name of the Norton toolbar, you can drag it off the toolbar area and check its title bar, or refer to the toolbars list (View>Toolbars). Hope this helps.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The address bar can not be removed. BTW, it' not useless - it holds the Folder list flyout for those who don't have it pinned open.

Lounger
    Thanks

The Norton AntiSpam toolbar can be dragged onto the Outlook toolbar, if you have space available. On the left of the toolbars there is a vertical line. Hovering over that line will change the cursor and allow you to drag the toolbar to another location. This works in Outlook XP and 2003.