5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupted Word file (Word 2000 SP 3)

After writing an 11 page document and saving it periodically, suddenly it changed to what looks like machine language. Is there anyway to recover this data and restore it to a Word document. In all the years I have been using Word I have never seen anything like this. I have no idea what happened. I am attaching the corrupted file. Urgent help requested.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Corrupted Word file (Word 2000 SP 3)

You can go to File, Open, and change the file type to Recover Text from Any File (*.*), select the document, and click OK. This will recover the essential text (plus some extra text at the beginning and the end, which you can delete).
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried this and just get the same garbage. Did you try and open the file I attached?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I did perform this on the file you attached. I attached my results for you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is still a paragraph missing on the first page. Very strange.

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 30-Nov-03 20:51. Added footnote.)</P>Things like this happen if you are working on a network and the server becomes unavailable during a crucial moment: a "block" of the file becomes trashed and, in some cases, the formatting moves around (e.g., underlines, bold, italics become associated with different text). I've never seen it happen under any other circumstances, but then, not everyone comes running to me with their problems. (Thank goodness!)

Footnote: If you count the number of characters from the beginning of the document to the place where the "text" changes to 16 point italic, and then the number of characters of that, then scroll down and count from the beginning of the Author's name to the beginning of the title, and the number of characters of that, you'll see what I mean about the shifted formatting. Spooky, eh?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You have an interesting theory. The document was being saved from a laptop to another computers HD on a home per to peer wireless network. At some point the computer with the HD to which the document was being saved was restarted. This may have been when corruption ocured, although I am at a loss to understand why the garbage suddenly appeared on the users screen while she was still composing the document. Auto save was saving the document every 10 minutes, and she had saved the document maually several times. The other possibility is that there was some kind of memory glitch, and the user or autosave saved the junk to the HD. Ever heard of this?

Thanks

The AutoRecovery save should not trash the document, but manually saving during or after a restart on the "server" could cause it. I couldn't tell you why, but certainly a shared computer should never be restarted while people have files open. Bad things happen. (I learned this the hard way in about 1984-85 when I had to retype someone's entire document after restarting a server.)