Thread: view no icons

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: view no icons

Windows Explorer always displays icons, whatever the view. There may be third-party alternatives to Windows Explorer that don't display icons, perhaps somebody else has a suggestion?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I don't beleive there is an .icn or other "file" per se being used. Inside each executable are icon resources, and by default Windows Explorer displays the first icon in the collection for the executable I have never noticed what you describe to be a problem. Is your computer's memory or resources too low??

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Run Regedit (Start/Run & type regedit & then press <enter>).
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionExplorer
    Create a new string called Max Cached Icons
    Give it a value of 4096 [if current is 2048, so try 4096]
    This will increase response time in windows and give the Shelliconcache file more room.

You can also search for & delete the shelliconcache file; Windows will recreate it when it reboots.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Phil:
    I presume the branch of Explorer to edit is Shell Icons?
    All help gratefully received!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

With most folders and for most files, I suppose Explorer can display a stock icon chosen on the basis of the filename extension, but not with .EXE This directory of mine harbours about 50 executables: the delay is most evident when Explorer comes to a newly downloaded .EXE that Explorer hasn't seen before. And Yes, unsurprisingly, the delay is worse when there are several programs open.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

view no icons

Win98 SE alias 4.10.2222 A
    I find icons in folder views unhelpful, and in some folders they slow the system down to a crawl. This is worst is the folder where I keep my downloaded executables. Windows will fill in most of them, and then hang for ten or twenty seconds before doing the rest. It may be that Windows goes working through a newly downloaded executable to find a compressed .ICN file in order to complete the array of unwanted icons, but I'd be glad to get rid of folder icons anyway. Is there a way to do that?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

"I suppose Explorer can display a stock icon chosen on the basis of the filename extension, but not with .EXE This directory of mine harbours about 50 executables."

Correct. The icon for each .exe file is a resource inside the .exe file -- NOT a separate .icn file.

Icons Randomly Change to Different Icons
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Syd--

I wonder if this is default behavior that any of these icons should slow any Windows OS to a crawl. My quesitons are 1) are they doing this on your machine because of a problem with some file or folder or other problem 2) would running Win 98's SFC.exe help? 3) Would the Repair Tab to rebuild icons on Tweak UI 1.33 help this? Even if it doesn't touch this, I'd run SFC and I just don't think it's normal that "folder icons...slow your system to a crawl" as normal physiology of Windows. First I've heard--there is a problem to fix that probably does not call for scuttling the icons.

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>I presume the branch of Explorer to edit is Shell Icons?<hr>
    No. When you locate that key with regedit, you right click in the right pane & choose New/String value.
    Cheers,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Looks familiar. Hey, where did you get that green folder?? ;-]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both, SMBP and Phil:

ACTION: I moved the Max Cached Icons string back from ExplorerShell Icons to Explorer , then ran SFC, which led me to reload three library files that may have been corrupted (a bit worrying

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You've resolved the problem, so it appears. Good stuff! I've attached a ZIP file that contains a reg file that will add icon cache settings to Windows Explorer, so you don't need to fool with the registry directly. For the technically inclined, you can view it in Notepad to see how it works. Large icon caches come with the caveat that sometimes, the wrong icon will be displayed - but that can be easily rectified by deleting the cache file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by bigaldoc on 05-Dec-03 08:20. I went looking in my email stash for the Woody newsletter and can't find it. I know it's there, but.....)</P>Have to wait for Phil's answer to know for sure, but it's probably a Woody creation from a year or two ago. Because so many people were having trouble finding it later, I keep a copy on my web site at this link. The initial "invention" is the GreenFolder ZIP file. I can't remember why I did it, but later I put up an .ICL file with three different sizes and color depth of the icon library. Help yourself!