Thanks

Creating a PDF file (2000 and 97)

I produce a church newsletter once a month. I produce the pages with Word 2000 as A4 sized, then print them two pages to a sheet to produce a paper master to give to the printers, so with page 12 facing page 1, page 2 facing page 11 and so on. The printers have suggested giving them the material in electronic form and I am trying to produce a PDF. I have access to Adobe Acrobat at work (and Word 97). I have tried from Word printing pages 12,1,2,11, ... to Acrobat Distiller, setting the page layout to two up, and it produces a beautiful result except for one thing. The two pages on the sheet have a border round them which I don't want. Any idea how to get rid of it?

Ian

Thanks

Re: Creating a PDF file (2000 and 97)

Further investigation suggests this is a feature of the printer. If I print the Word file 2 pages to a sheet on either of the office HP printers that have this capability, then I also get the border. (They are an HP Laserjet 4100 and HP 2500CM, both with PS drivers.) Whereas my Brother HL-1450 at home prints the same thing without the borders. (But I don't have Adobe Acrobat at home.)

Any ideas?

Ian

Thanks

I'm not sure where the border is being added: if you print to paper, directly to your HP printer, does the border appear, or only when you first convert to PDF and then print to the HP printer? Are you using any add-ins to "bookletize" the document?

Thanks

The border appears even when just printing the Word document to the HP printers. I am not using add-ins, just the facility the printer driver provides to print more than one page to a sheet and I get the booklet effect by specifying the pages in the right order, so page 12, then 1, then 2, then 11 and so on. It seems that what Acrobat does is just produce a PDF of what the printer would do.

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What else would you expect PDF to do?

Thanks

Well, being a novice at the PDF production game, I am learning a lot as I go along!

Ian

Thanks

Word 2002 has its own built-in 2-per-page which does not generate the border, but I don't know if that's an option in Word 97 or 2000. As for turning off HP's borders, I really have no idea. HP's knowledgebase might help. Also, you could take a look at the FinePrint product; it's not free, but it would give you much more flexibility.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Yes Word 2002 has the booklet printing facility, but not versions before that. I'm not allowed to install something like FinePrint on the machine at work, but it looks interesting and I'll check it out for home use, and also check the HP knowledge base.

Thanks as ever for your time and advice.

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think that the options in that Properties dialog box are supplied by your printer driver. Mine has a completely different set.

StuartR

Edited to add - Ah, I see what you mean, the one on the left is generic, the one on the right is printer specific.