New Lounger
    Thanks

wrong time on received email (OE 6)

The time stamp on my received mail is three hours earlier than my actual time. I also use Netscape Messenger for a different mail account and the time for received mail there is correct. My computer clock is also correct.

Is there a setting in OE I'm missing, or is this a mail server problem, or other ideas?

Thanks for any help you can suggest.

Jacky

Thanks

Re: wrong time on received email (OE 6)

The "Received" time is the time that the message was received by your mail server. If you open the message properties and view the second tab, you should see a line similar to this:

Received: from senders.mailserver.com (123.45.6.789) by your.isp.com for yourusername@yourdomain.com; 1 Dec 2003 17:18:58 -0800

The time should be the local time that the message was received, followed by the offset to the time in London. Your mail client uses this information to adapt the time to your time zone. If your mail server is inserting the wrong offset, then your mail client will show the wrong received time. Conversely, if your time settings are incorrect, you will see nonsensical received times.

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for the explanation. I looked at the details as you suggested and I see that the local time at the mail server is PST, with the correct offset (-0800) from GMT. My local time is EST. Shouldn't Outlook Express (my mail client) convert to EST when it displays my message received time? It's showing it as PST.

I also use Netscape Messenger for another mail account through the same ISP and it converts OK.
    Jacky

Thanks

Yes, if your system Time Zone is set to -0500, Outlook Express should adjust the time automatically. (I say this based on how Outlook behaves. I don't have anything in my OE Inbox on this computer to play with.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

That was it - thanks. My time was right, but my time ZONE was wrong. Once I reset it to EST (and reset my clock), it now displays the right time. Thanks again.
    Jacky