4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Newspaper columns - edit (Word97/SR 2)

Again me

Am having a most frustrating time trying to edit/control these columns.

If I cut material from the right-hand column and try to paste it into left-hand one, I get extra paragraph marks at beginning of right-hand column and/or the text jumps around with a mind of its own.

I've looked in Word's Help, MVP articles and M'soft. Not much there.

Thanks for any advice and for links on where to seek enlightenment.

Curious

I've looked in Word's Help, MVP articles and M'soft. Not much there.

Thanks for any advice and for links on where to seek enlightenment.

Curious

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Newspaper columns - edit (Word97/SR 2)

I'm curious to your problem Curious? Are you using Column Breaks? and Section Breaks?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Trish, am using Breaks: Column & Continuous ones.

I have turned OFF the Widow/Orphan otpion (though this does not Stick, adding to a frustrating experience).

Thanks for your interest,
    Curious

Thanks

Can you post a sample document? Maybe render it gibberish by doing replaces on several common consonants. And one vowel.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson -

Thank you for being willing to look at this attachment. (Should this be zipped, or did it come across okay?)
    Curious

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1. You have 3 paragraph marks at the end of the first column. Some of these may be pushed to the second column if you move text to the first column.
    2. Word will try to keep the two columns equal in length as much as possible. This may cause a line or two to move back to the second column, if it is necessary to balance the columns.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans -

Thank you, as always.

I believe all those extra para marks resulted from my "playing" with the file before I sent it. But I take your point:: perhaps my problem is Word trying balancing the columns, as much as possible.

My task is to duplicate, as much as possible, another file- column breaks and all. Not knowing what font was used, the exact line spacing, etc., I was running into difficulties.

Do you know a good source on using columns efficiently? As I mentioned, none of my books are very detailed, nor is Word's Help.

Thank you, Hans,
    Curious

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A fairly basic explanation of using columns can be found on the Word MVP site: The strait and narrow: using columns. Perhaps others will contribute links that provide more detailed instructions.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Again Curious... glad you attached the document for us to view... I have found one of the most common things people do in Word is use returns between paragraphs instead of Space After. When you place hard returns between paragraphs, you literally take away from many of Word's formatting capabilities. Also, with the amount of exposure which I have had with large documents, it has been found that empty paragraph markers (usually ones to seperate paragraphs) can and will corrupt a Word document if it becomes a large document.

Anyhow, after saying all that, I have reattached your document, using Space After of 6 pts, you can change to your desired spacing (usually size of the font being utilized). Then to get the paragraph over to the right-hand side, I used the Keep with Next option found under the second tab of Format Paragraph. When Keep with Next is turned on a paragraph, you will view a small black box under the text on the right-side. Double-clicking this black box will take you to the dialog to make changes. This will keep the chosen paragraph with the Next. If you used manual/hard spacing between, it would keep with that space instead of the paragraph with actual text. You could, however, select more than one paragraph and use the keep with next.

The beauty of keep with next is that it will not affect the look of the columns if more information needs to be inserted - meaning- nothing is being forced with paragraph markers or column breaks. FYI... Using Space After in tables is always a must also.

Hope this helped... enjoy... trish
    Attached Files Attached Files

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trish -

Many thanks. Yup, your post helps.

Curious