New Lounger
    Thanks

Importing from Outlook Express (Outlook 2003)

Hello all!

I have a client who just got a new computer with the basic Office 2003. For various reasons, I copied the old hard drive over into a folder in the new computer. When I went to import his previous email and address book from Outlook Express, I went to the wrong place and got nothing. So I re-searched and found the actual .mdx files, etc for importing. Alas, back in the Import/Export wizard, I found I could no longer browse - it wasn't even an option. The wizard *seemed* to go back to the first place. I renamed the folder, copied the .mdx files to the first place, jumped up and down and did a twist in mid-air. No joy!

Would anyone know how to get the import wizard to allow me to browse once again? Thanks!

Will Stephenson
    mailto:woody@acadia-techs.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing from Outlook Express (Outlook 2003)

Probably just restarting the PC will re-set the browse. I've seen the browse option being lost in other programs on a PC with low available memory. I have not seen this in Outlook. How many programs did you have open?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hiya! Yup, I've rebooted with no luck, Outlook was the only program going (outside of the usual startup stuff - mostly Norton AV). It's a pretty clean machine.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm thinking of an end-around solution.... could you start Outlook Express on the new machine, point the storage folder (Tools>Options>Maintenance>Store Folder) to the "old machine" folder, open the .dbx from there and then File>Export to Outlook?

kip

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Kip - the work around worked!. Client is smiling. But I still wonder why the browse function disappeared. Just got my MS Action Pack subscription today, so I can install Office 2003 and see if I can similarly break Outlook's browse function.

Thanks again for the help!