2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

align text on N-dash symbol (Word SR1)

I have a list of number ranges, some with decimal points, some without. They are each in cells in a table. Examples:
    <0.5

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: align text on N-dash symbol (Word SR1)

In this special case, you can do it as follows:
    - Make sure that the (horizontal) ruler is displayed.
    - Select the cells.
    - Put a decimal tab on the ruler (click the symbol on the left hand side of the ruler until it looks like an upside-down T with a dot, then click in the ruler.
    This will line up the first decimal point in the cells.

Another way would be:
    - Add .0 to the 1 in the first line, so that all entries have one decimal digit.
    - Put a right-aligned tab on the ruler (click the symbol on the left hand side of the ruler until it looks like a mirrored L, then click in the ruler.
    - Insert a tab character at the beginning of each cell, by typing Ctrl+Tab.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Another option is to give the n-dashes their own table column, set the column to their left to be right aligned text and the one on the right to be left aligned. You may need to visit the Table > Properties> Table > Options dialog box to reduce the left and right cell margins. You need to clear the borders and shading between the relevant cells too. This has the advantages of allowing you to use 1-3.45 as well as 0.002-1 and still align everything on the dashes.

StuartR
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Initially I used Hans' suggestion, making all of the numbers on either side of the N-dash have precision of one decimal point. But I must check with the researcher to see if that is mathematically correct!

I will use Stuart's suggestion if they say no!

Thanks guys,
    gg

New Lounger
    Thanks

I usually just cheat in this sort of situation. I'd try setting tab stops like this: A left tab stop where you want the N-dash to start, and a right tab stop so close to the left of that that, when you insert a tab before your mathematical phrase, and another just before the N-dash, the end of the "pre-N-dash" text will be so close to the beginning of the N-dash that the spacing won't be noticeable.

I'd also assign a style name to this (if it works), so that I can apply the identical formatting anyplace in the document.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

That's a good trick. I found it works better if you turn off "snap to grid" (Drawing Toolbar/snap to grid), but I still couldn't get them closer than .02 using Format/Tabs. By dragging on the ruler with the Alt key held down, I was able to get within .01".
    Cheers,