Star Lounger
    Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Newbie struggling to publish (FP 2002/WinXP SP1)

So I've created my site, tested it on my own PC, activated my webspace with my ISP, registered a domain name but nowhere can I find how this all comes together. When I hit 'publish' in FP at no time does it ask for my domain name. What am I missing?
    Roger

Thanks

Re: Newbie struggling to publish (FP 2002/WinXP SP1)

So you have your web open, and when you choose File>Publish Web..., do you get a dialog? An error? Does it do anything at all?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I get a dialog in which my ISP's server ftp address appears in the '...publish your web to:' box. I add my folder name to the ftp address, click 'Publish' and the upload appears to take place. But at what stage does the domain name come into play?
    Roger

Thanks

My experience was with publishing directly to http://www.mydomain.com rather than an FTP site, but you might not have that option. It will depend on your ISP and hosting package.

Let me assume that you registered with a low-cost registrar like DirectNIC that lets you point your domain name to another site operated by a completely different company. This can be set up through "forwarding" or through using an "A" (address) record. Either way, your web host has no idea what your domain name is, and it probably is safest to follow the original instructions for publishing. After publishing, test the connection between your domain name and your site using a browser. Does that make sense?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Things are getting clearer. My ISP (Tiscali, in the UK) hosts an FTP server to which my stuff has definitely been uploaded. My domain name was registered with 123DomainNames UK who will host my site for a whopping fee. My broadband package with Tiscali includes 50 MB of webspace so I am anxious not get caught paying twice to two different hosts. I guess I've got to arrange forwarding from Tiscali to 123DomainNames.
    Roger

Thanks

I think the forwarding would go the other way around. You have two choices:

(1) The whois records for your domain point to the domain name seller's name servers, and your domain name seller points visitors to your real site. This often is included in the price of registration/parking. If you are unhappy with the price/features your domain name seller offers, you usually can transfer the domain to a better package simply by paying a one year renewal fee to the new domain name seller.

(2) The whois records for your domain point to your ISP's name servers; your ISP might include the cost for this in your package or it might be extra.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I got you. In fact I got there by my own surfing. I would have to pay 123DomainNames