New Lounger
    Thanks

IE Tools|Internet Options|General Tab (IE 6)

On my son's lap top computer, when he goes to Tools|Internet Options, he does not have a general tab. Thus he is not able to change his home page or do some other functions. How does one get this tab back? How does one not have it in the first place? If we can't get the tab back, is there at leas some other way to modify the home page from msn.com?

My son is using this on a network at college. Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE Tools|Internet Options|General Tab (IE 6)

If your son is logging in to the network, the network administrators may have set a policy that hides the General tab of Internet Options... He would have to contact them to verify this.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it certainly may be that the administrators have limited his options. However, you said it was your son's computer. If he owns the computer, then he should be able to modify these things -- unless there is some agreement otherwise. My first question must always be... Spybot??

This information is widely available on the Internet, so I don't think I am breaking any code of ethics by revealing it.

The Home Page is a registry setting here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain
    "Start Page" =""

The registry Policy setting that removes the General Tab is here:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftInternet ExplorerControl Panel]
    "GeneralTab"=0x00000000 (DWORD)

--setting this to "1" removes the tab. Set it to "0" to bring it back.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

This info may supplement the reg keys R2 has given you--same keys but some detail as to values. I know that colleges may restrict some options on their networks but I can't fathom why they would or should and am not sure it's legal if they are blocking that general tab on your son's computer and his software. I don't see how it promotes security for their network to block the functionality of that tab, and if this were the case it prevents him from doing some basic things he might need to do and also access to accessibility and history settings from the gui. He ought to be able to restore the general tab from the registry with the keys above from Rick and here are some more values:

Winguides Internet Explorer Control Panel Restrictions (Part 2) including the General Tab

Internet Explorer Control Panel Restrictions (Part 1)

SMBP