Thread: Widow/Orphan

slb

Widow/Orphan

We're formatting a document using styles. We have the style "Heading 1" paragraph formatting checked for widow/orphan and keep with next. "Heading 2" is formatted for widow/orphan. However we have a Heading 1 at the bottom of page one and a heading 2 at the top of page 2. We're trying to only use the styles and not use any direct formatting. Does anyone know why Heading 1 is not being carried to the top of page 2?

slb

Re: Widow/Orphan

Thanks for the reply. We only have the one return at the end of Heading 1. The next line is Heading 2. We have allowed for the space between lines under the paragraph formatting.

We can block the two lines and select "Keep Lines Together" and then Heading 1 will carry over to the next page. However, this defeats the purpose of avoiding any direct formatting.

BAM

Hi slb,

Are you using two returns <Enter> between each paragraph instead of adding space between paragraphs (Format/Paragraph)?

If so then Word is keeping an empty paragraph with Heading 1 and allowing the Heading 2 paragraph to move to the next page.

Turn on your nonprinting characters <Ctrl Shift *> or click

BAM

Hi slb,

Are you sure you are using the "Keep lines together" paragraph format? This format applies to the lines within a paragraph, not separate paragraphs.

Can you attach an example for us?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

slb

In the style setting for the paragraph I'm using "Keep with next". We manually corrected it by blocking the two paragraphs and selecting "Keep lines together".

We've also found the same problem in another file with "Heading 1" and "Normal" text split across pages as well as a "Heading 1" and a table following. In one instance the information formatted and printed fine, but changed when we selected a different printer.

I'm unable to attach a file because the information is proprietary. I tried to take out the proprietary information but then the problem is difficult to replicate.

I hope this doesn't confuse things more than help.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Phil Rabichow on 01/04/11 17:17.</FONT></P>Check these three settings:
    1) Format/Styles/Heading1/Modify & make sure that Automatically update isn't selected. This can change you styles automatically.
    2) Format/Styles/Heading2 & check the above AND make sure you don't have "page break before" as part of the style.
    3) Tools/Templates & Add-ins & make sure that Automatically update document styles is not ticked.
    4) While your there, check the attached template.

Also, where did you look to make sure of the style properties? Did you check it under Format/Style definitions & did you Shift+F1 & place the cursor on some text containing the style? Also, have you made sure there's no overriding manual formatting by selecting the text & pressing Ctrl+Q & Ctrl+Spacebar?

Edited Part:
    I'm also wondering if there may be something strange under Tools/Options/Compatibility. I haven't played with all the options, but there may be something with spacing. Also (I'm sort of thinking out loud), have you gone to Page Layout view or printed it, or are you looking at it in normal view before it's been repaginated?

BAM

Hi slb,

I've tried to duplicate this but have been unsuccessful in getting the same results as you have described when applying the "Keep lines together" format across two paragraphs.

As another thought, if all of your paragraphs have "Keep with next" applied then there is just so much that Word can keep together and it will begin to disregard the "Keep with next" format.

Is this a possibility?

Thanks

Keep with next (was Re: Widow/Orphan)

Dumb question: is this a problem with Normal view or does it print incorrectly, too. I have seen some strange and frustrating repaginations on screen that turned out fine in the end.