New Lounger
    Thanks

Email Rules Prevent Fetch of Mail When Traveling (2002 SP-2)

Hello,

I need to deal with the fact that the Email filter Rules that I setup prevent me from connecting to a network (other than my company's network with our Exchange Server) and fetch mail from a POP3 account at an ISP. That is, my Outlook client fetches incoming mail by requesting a download from our company's ISP. I have a bunch of Email filter Rules that sort the mail into folders on my notebook, based either on keywords or on receipient email address. As long as I am attached to my company's network with the Exchange Sever the Rules execute just fine. However, when I travel to a customer site and attach to their network to get Internet access and then try to fetch mail from the POP3 server at the ISP, I get two or three messages and then Outlook hangs. From what I understand (and for reasons I don

Thanks

Re: Email Rules Prevent Fetch of Mail When Traveling (2002 SP-2)

In Outlook 2002, you can limit rules to a particular account. This might help separate the Exchange Server mailbox rules from the POP3 account rules.

But because you encounter the same issues when all the rules are disabled, I have to wonder whether there isn't some other problem. When you instruct Outlook to check mail, are you checking only the POP3 server mail?

Considering the possibility of PST corruption, you could try the Inbox Repair Tool, ScanPST.exe (mine's in C:Program

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jefferson,

Thanks very much for the reply! Yes, I am only checking for POP3 accounts when this problem occurs - I'm not including the Exchange Server in the request.

You suggest running ScanPST but, since I'm not attached to the Exchange Server, isn't the target the .ost (offline copy of the data hosted on the Exchange Server)? I don't think ScanPST will even work against the .ost file. Can you clarify your suggestion?

Finally, I don't see how you can "limit rules to a particula account". I used Tools | Rules Wizard to set up the rules and don't see anyway to do that. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks again for the help.

Al.

Thanks

Limiting a rule to an account: set it as a condition for the rule to be applied to the message. I don't know if this will help, but it's something to try.

Thanks

Sorry, regarding PST/OST, I just assumed that POP3 mail was delivered to a PST. If it is being delivered to an OST, then you should not try to use ScanPST unless someone says you can.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jefferson,

Thanks again for the help. I'll try out the "specific account" technique and see if it works.

Al.