New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Networking

I recently created a small wired network with a router (three laptops and two desktops). The two desktops and two of the laptops are running Windows XP while the other laptop is running Windows ME, at least for now. While trying to create the office network, I have run into a few problems. The two desktops have no problem communicating with each other (sharing files and printers), but the laptop running Windows ME is able to share files with the two but not share one of the available printers. The other two laptops on the other hand are unable to communicate with any of the other computers. I have run through all of the wizards several times with the same results. The only obvious difference between the computers that work on the network and those that do not is that the three computers that work are either HP or Compaq, while the two laptops that won

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Networking

Just a couple general questions and maybe someone will have some answers for you. 1. What type router are you using? 2. Can you ping the router from all comuters (command prompt, ping x.x.x.x - ME does not have a command promt but something close to it)? 3. Do a command prompt ipconfig on each computer and write down the IP addy and default gateway for each one ( if any ip addy are in the 169.x.x.x range then that means the computer was unable to get an IP addy from the router, the default gateway is the IP addy used to access the internet, if you wished too) 4. Are your printers -networked printers (stand alone) or connected to your individual computers? 5. The light lights up on the router when you plug the cable in does not mean a good connection, does it flash or show traffic incoming/outgoing? If you could answer these question I ams ure someone will be able to help you out here... Welcome to networking - fun fun fun!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Be sure the Workgroup is the same name and spelled (including capitalization) correctly in all units (especially the ME machine).
    Be sure any firewalls are set to communicate properly.
    Go get the book This Wired Home by Microsoft Press and Alan Neibaur be sure it is the 3rd edition (the 2nd edition does not cover XP).

New Lounger
    Thanks

I was able to get the two laptops running XP into the network by turning off the guest account on the two desktop computers (a tip I read in another post). Haven't had a chance to check the printer problems with the other laptop yet, but I will try the suggestions.