3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

International Support (Word 2000)

I have a client that has asked for my assistance supporting a variety of foreign languages include Spanish, Russian, Farsi, and Vietnamese just to get started. Issues include: character sets/fonts for the languages, keyboard overlays (something) so users can type in their native language, spell check support.

Any sources of information for a starting point? Any suggestions or experience?

Thank you!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: International Support (Word 2000)

Others will hopefully add more specific and detailed suggestions, but here is a general overview: Office 2000 Worldwide: An Overview of Multilingual Features, and here is a site that sells keyboard overlays for many languages: Bilingual Keyboard Overlays.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans! This is a good starting point ... now I have some reading to do!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Hans, nice - I didn't even know there was an Office Online. I just about live in the MS Knowledge Base.

Darryl, There's more reading. I started here: <!mskb=290926>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 290926<!/mskb>. Indulge in a close reading of the articles linked at the VERY BOTTOM of this one. They are OS specific. Search the terms IME 'input method editor' and MUI 'multilingual user interface' for information about "gotchas" and other Office programs... Most of my users find the IME by itself is sufficient for their needs.

Major hardware vendors offer language specific keyboards as well.