New Lounger
    Thanks

Powerpoint password problems (2002)

The marketing person in the company I work for creates Powerpoint presenations that are used by many people. We wish to prevent other people from modifying these presentations, so she has been assigning passwords to the documents. Without the password, you should only be able to open the document in read-only mode. When she does this, the password protection behaves correctly on her machine. However, when she sends the file to someone else, the password protection doesn't work correctly. You don't get the password box that has the "read-only" button as an option. You just get a box that says "enter password to open file" and your choices are OK and cancel. The password that she set on the file doesn't work either, so the file is basically unreadable. If she unprotects the document and sends it to me, I can protect it and send it out, and the protection works correctly. Any idea what is going on here?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Powerpoint password problems (2002)

The only thing I can find that appears to touch on this subject is this MSKB article, and it sounds like the password she is setting is being interpreted as an "open" password rather than a modify password. One solution might be to save the presentation as a Show (.pps) - in that scenario it can be run on older versions of PPT as well, and even on PCs that do not have PowerPoint installed (as long as they can install the viewer). Is it possible that the users having trouble are running 2000 or 97 instead of 2002? The password scheme was modified considerably in 2002.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

The problem occurs even on machines that are running the same version of powerpoint. There seems to be something more going on than just the password being interpreted as an "open" password, because even if you put in the password, the file doesn't open (you get an "incorrect password" message)--unless she does it from her machine, in which case it opens correctly. It seems like some kind of funny encryption is going on, but I can't figure out why/how.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is she assigning a modify password or an open password?

If she clicks the "advanced" button when setting the password, what's her encryption set to?