New Lounger
    Thanks

functions not calculated (excel2000)

In my worksheet containing a lot of formulas and user functions, I get a lot of #value! instead of calculated results.

When I select the cell/formula edit bar and click return I get a correct result...?! Why is the cell not calculated? I have calculation set to automatic. F9 or ctrl-alt F9 does not work. activecell.calculate put in the code does not work either...

Is it an error somewhere that stops excel to procede correctly? Has excel problems finding the right calculation order / tree or what ever it it is called? Any ideas, please!

Thanks

Re: functions not calculated (excel2000)

Here is a little discusion on this

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Steve!

I have already tried to consider the tips from the Calculation Secrets page. I THINK that I have avoided the mistakes mentioned there.

Another way to go would perhaps be to use any audit programs available for analyzing and correcting my spreadsheet and functions. Can you or anyone else recommend any of these?

Thanks in advance
    Janne

Thanks

Not sure this is what you want, but Excel has its own "trace error" function. It is on the "Auditing" toolbar (view -toolbars - customize - toolbars tab -check "auditing")

Select a cell with an error, click on the "diamond with an exclamation (!)" and it will trace to the cell originating the error.

You can also trace dependents and precedents with this toolbar.

Steve

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Steve: When I use Trace Error on my XL2K it appears to do the same thing that Trace Precedents does. In other words, it draws lines to all cells used in the formula, not to the one that is causing the error. Am I doing something wrong?
    Legare Coleman

Thanks

Since all the lines are "blue" (not red) The "error" is in the selected cell. The "error" excel traces is the cell that contains the error.

It is a tool for dependent cells when you want to find the source of the error. The source (origination) of the error is C10, there is no error in any of the dependents.
    XL leaves it still to you to figure our why C10 is giving an error. The error is a type mismatch since "a" (in C1) is not a number.

If you had a cell that referenced C10, that cell would have an error also, but its error would trace to C10 (the source).

Steve

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Janne,

This sounds like your function is non-volatile. If you don't want to use Application.Volatile(True) in your function's code, you could still force the function to recalculate by adding either:
    +NOW()*0
    for numerics, or
    &IF(NOW()=0,"","")
    for strings, to the cells containing your functions.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]