New Lounger
    Thanks

MS Works (XP home)

Hope I can explain this properly. I have an new computer with XP home and MS Works pre-loaded. If I open the wp program in Works, type a document, and save to My Docs., I cannot open it. Although I save it as a works doc., I get a message stating that I don't have the proper software to open it. When I click on properties, it calls it an undefined file. I recently deleted the pre-loaded Wordperfect trial program. Can it be trying to open my files with that missing software? Thank You for any help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Works (XP home)

I haven't used Works for a long time - does it still use the .WPS filename suffix? Looks like you've definitely got an associations problem. When you removed the WordPerfect trial, did you just delete the files and directory, or did you do it "properly" via the Add/Remove applet in Control Panel? I still have Works files on my machine and the top part of the attachment shows what the Properties tab says about it. I believe you need to open Tools, Folder Options, File Types as in the bottom part of the attachment. Add a new .WPS suffix and point it to the correct executable file. It should be easy to find in the Program Files directory tree.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the help big Al. Since I posted this, I found my Office cd's for 2000 small business that came with my old computer. If I load it on my new one, should I remove the Works program using the "Add/remove software" function? By the way, that is how I removed the Wordperfect software. Again, thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that sounds like a good idea to me, for the "extra" capabilities of Office as opposed to Works. And yes, it wouldn't hurt to remove Works, although they will coexist without problems. Remember when you install Office, you'll have to add the extra capability for it to recognize Works files, and/or WordPerfect and others. It's been so long since I installed Office 2000, I don't remember if you get the opportunity to do that DURING the install or if you have to go back and do it later. I believe it's called "file converters" or something like that.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Great, I'm good to go. Thanks again for all your help. I'd be lost without you guys.