Lounger
    Thanks

Change pointer to hand without hyperlink (Access 2000)

I am trying to use the following custom mouse pointer code posted on the "Access Web" web site. I want to call the MouseCursor function from the MouseMove event of a text box to display a hand pointer when the mouse moves over the text box. I don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Change pointer to hand without hyperlink (Access 2000)

Access has its own routines that set the mouse pointer; it tries to set it to the I-beam if you move the mouse over a text box. You would have to use the On Mouse Move event to force it to be a hand:

Private Sub txtSomething_MouseMove(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
    MouseCursor IDC_HAND
    End Sub

Access will still turn the mouse pointer into an I-beam when it gets the chance, but the event procedure changes it to a hand again. This may result in flickering, and when you click inside the text box, the mouse pointer will be an I-beam until you release the mouse button or move the mouse.

Lounger
    Thanks

I have my code set up just as you suggest. But the pointer disappears when I move it over the text box. However, if I specify one of the other pointers, for example, a cross, if works fine.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps somebody else with Access 2000 can test it and react; I can't reproduce your problem in Access 2002 (aka XP), and I can't find a reference to it in the newsgroups or MS knowledge base.

Lounger
    Thanks

I think the problem is with NT 4.0. I tried it in Windows 2000 and it worked as expected, but it failed on Windows 95. Could someone test it in Windows 98, ME, and XP? All you need to do is put the code in a standard module and add the following to the MouseMove event of a text box:
    =MouseCursor(32649)
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Change pointer to hand without hyperlink (Acce

I have just tested it with win 98 and Access 2000 and it worked OK.
    There is is some flcikeringf as the pointer wants to change back to and I beam then returns to the hand.
    Regards
    John