4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

blank records (2000)

Hello I have a form on my d/b that on load and open is set to accept a new record (macro got to new). This form is used to filter for historic records also. My problem concerns for instance, the form is ready to accept a new record, user does a filter, finds the record, finishes dealing with the record and presses the add button ready for entering a new record. The problem is that the blank record prior to the filter action has been recorded, with 7 or 8 users I am fast having a problem with blank records. For info; there are a couple of fields that are auto filled, i.e. the user who is inputting record no need put his/her name in as this is taken from a function that reads the log on Id at the terminal and the date is auto also, not sure if these are causing some of the problem as once I go to a new record is initialised before I fill any fields. Any suggestions please?

Thanks Darren.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: blank records (2000)

If you set the Default Value of a field, it will be filled in automatically when the user starts a new record, but it doesn't count as editing the record, so if the user leaves the new record without typing anything into it, it will not be saved. If you populate a field in code when the form is opened, this counts as editing the record, so if the user moves away from it, even without typing anything into it, it will be saved. If you can't use a default value, it would be better to populate fields in code in the Before Update event. You can also make certain fields required, so that the user can't leave them empty.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: blank records (2000)

Thanks Hans, that does clarify issues, I will adapt appropriately on my return to work tomorrow.

Many thanks, yet again - Darren.