Lounger
    Thanks

Can't change style, reverts back (Word 97, SR-1)

I have a word document, and i've created styles for it. On page one I have a heading 1. It's the title page so I created a page break using ctrl + enter. On page 2 at the top is heading 2. It has a fill color. This has created a fill on page 1 and style of heading 2. no matter how many times I change the heading to normal, it immediately jumps back to heading 2. I've added extra enters, and when I select all of them and change it to normal it will revert heading 2 to normal and when i change that heading back to heading 2 it puts the shading back on page 1. also, if you click the fill bucket and choose none, the shading is still there, if you choose normal while you have the heading selected it will make the font smaller (12 pt. rather than the 14 pt. the heading 2 is) but the fill will not go away. and if you choose borders and shading it shows NO fill, unless you apply it to the paragraph but then again it takes the fill off heading 2. Anyway, i created this heading... and called it heading2. i think you get the idea. in my office 2000 all i have to do is add an extra return and reformat my "enters" and it keeps the formatting of the next page. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Can't change style, reverts back (Word 97, SR-1)

I don't follow that completely, but I do know this: Ctrl+Enter creates a break that has the paragraph formatting attributes (and style) of the first paragraph on the next page. If you use Normal view (View>Normal) and arrow up and down, you can verify this. If you press Enter at that break, the new paragraphs will pick up those attributes (and that style). One way to avoid this is: instead of using Ctrl+Enter, click in the paragraph you want on a new page, and choose Format>Paragraph, choose the second tab, and check the box for "page break before." This avoids creating the "style transmitting break" in the first place.

Lounger
    Thanks

You're a genius!!! Thank you so much. That did it!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re "Ctrl+Enter creates a break that has .. style of the first para..."

And why IS that, I wonder. Is it "by design", or just an oversight on the part of MS. I can't think of a good reason for it -- usually it just creates a spacing or some other type of visual nuisance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I would say it is by design. There is after all no paragraph mark between the hard page break and the following text so it would be pretty confusing if it wasn't part of the same paragraph.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia