Thread: Alert me

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Alert me

Yesterday, I was on a web conference which was attended through the use of Internet Explorer. While attending, I was also doing a few other things so the IE window was not always on top. I would occassionally switch back to the IE window to see if the screen changed.

Is there any utility that could help me with this? I'm looking for a utility that would let me know when a window of my choice has changed. This implies a few things:
    - id the window of interest
    - only let me know if something changes while the window of interest is NOT active
    - maybe flash the window's task bar button or pop the window to the front
    - free would be good but I could see paying a few dollars (or other currency) for something like this

I've made this a Windows posting because there's some chance that the request could be used beyond IE. However, my particular application was with use of IE. So if this should be posted elsewhere, that's fine too.

Anyway, that's the general request. Ideas?

Thanks

Fred

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Alert me

Fred--

Take a look at

1) Tweak UI XP's, 2000 or 1.33--you don't say what OS you're using Mouse Focus but it doesn't track the inactive window the way you seem to want. What it will do is give you better control than the control panel applet over how the mouse makes the window jump to focus.

2) WinGuide's Tweak Manager With a Free Trial will allow you about 1100 and growing Gui Tweaks including Active Window Tracking is better and will allow you to bring running programs to the foreground with a "head fake in basketball" sort of mouse motion.
    Tweak Manager also has "Change the Application Focus Settings" which means when windows applications require user input or focus they will pop up over the existing window or their icon will flash on the taskbar requiring user action--you can control the number of flashes and timeout in milliseconds--are you a milliseconds reflex type of guy?

3) Automatic Splitter from The Code Project will allow you to split a view and indicate which view has focus. It may offer some of the functionality you want.

4) You can also use the registry to change application focus settings:

This tweak requires the modification of two values, depending on the way you would like applications to take the focus. The first setting controls whether applications simply steal the focus, that is pop-up over the existing in focus window, or if instead they wait in the background and flash the taskbar icon. The second setting controls the flashing of the icon.

Registry Settings
    User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop]
    Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value named 'ForegroundLockTimeout', change the value to either the timeout required, or to '0' which causes the application to take the focus instantly. The default value is '200000' (0x00030d40 hex).

The other settings affects the number of times the icon flashes if above value was not set to zero.

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value called 'ForegroundFlashCount' set the value (in decimal) to the number times to flash the taskbar icon, setting the value to '0' cases the icon to flash infinitely. The default value is '3'.

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
    ForegroundFlashCount REG_DWORD 0x00000003 (3)
    ForegroundLockTimeout REG_DWORD 0x00030d40 (200000)

I really think that Tweak Manager comes closes of the tweakers I have to giving you what you want because I was trying to make sure I included a way for you to track the inactive window.

SMBP

Thanks

You can automate IE from VB or a VBA host, and the control offers a lot of events to monitor the window. However, the way that "slides" are displayed during webinars is unusual in that the changes somehow get pushed from the server side. How do they do that??? Maybe it doesn't affect the programming, but I've got to wonder...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP

Thanks for the response. I think I agree that your 2nd choice, Tweak Manager, might be the best way to go. It almost seems that it might make use of the Registry tweaks that you mentioned in the 4th choice. I'm not sure what #3 does and #1 seems like I still have to know to do something with the mouse to my IE window.

As far as which OS, I was on an ME system during the conference. But I might be on 98 or XP in the future on other systems. That's why I didn't post to a particular Win version board.

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson,

Thanks. Not sure I follow you on what to do. Also, while I probably only need to do this for IE, I wasn't precluding the possibility of other apps that I'd want to track when their window changes and they're not on top. I'm going to try the tweak suggestions from SMBP first.

I too always wondered how does the webinar push the new slide to your browser. I didn't ask it to so there must be a push in there somewhere.

Fred

Thanks

> Not sure I follow you on what to do.

Well, it's such a big project that I only mentioned that it's possible. You're better off finding a pre-built solution.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Fred--

Jefferson is able to do so much with VBA and VB in a lot of different situations that I only wish I were able to do, so I have to work with the more basic tools of tweakers, regedits, ocassional run commands.

Let me know how this works out for you.

SMBP